Boars fighting and humping

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:03 pm

That's what I was thinking - are they really both boars? Triple agree with space and two or more of everything. Even though my trio gets along well, they all have their own pigloo and I put food bowls and water bottles on opposite sides of the pen so no one pig can guard everything. Also, get them checked for mites.

Syllevator

Post   » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:25 pm

This is an old post, but Ill comment for others. Our first GP, Milt, showed up in our backyard. No one claimed him, but we suspect someone placed him over their back fence. He does not like to share his habitat... Gets upset.

However, if the other male has his own hab, this guy will hang out peacefully in shared indoor and outdoor play areas. We took on an 8 year old, Merlin, whose 2nd fam was moving across country by car and feared he would die. They enjoyed social time, but Milt never shared his hab. We lost Merlin a month ago at 10, so got a young rescue with a blind eye.

Similarly, they play together, but have separate habs. The young guy wants more togetherness, but Milt is adamant, especially as he has gone through a recent bought with stones.

I am greatful for this site because it help me prolong Merlin's life. It also helped make Milts life easier and may have saved bis life as well.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:19 pm

I have 4 boars. Two of them are paired brothers and get along great. They share a habitat with 2 of everything. They still have confrontation and they hump each other occasionally but it's usually a very short affair. They are just about a year old.

My other two don't get along at all unless there's some kind of barrier between them. With the barrier in place, they touch noses through it, purr and popcorn for each other. Remove the barrier and it's on with a full on brawl. They've drawn blood and bitten small pieces of each other's ears off. I only tried twice to pair them before I realized that it was not going to happen. That was when they both were under a year old. They're both over 2 now, but they are relegated to socialize through the wire cage.

Some piggies just aren't meant to share their personal space. Unless you don't have space for two cages large enough to give them the room they need, there's no reason you have to get rid of them just because they don't get along.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:57 pm

Sounds like you have been an excellent caretaker of these guinea pigs, Syllevator! If we helped prolong their lifes, that is great.

I do think guinea pigs are happier when there are other guinea pigs nearby, even if they cannot get along with them.