Guinea pig diet

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:42 pm

Very understandable. Likely nothing at all to worry about, but it's good that you're on top of it.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:06 pm

You said it was in the three digits? You're keeping them inside, in an air conditioned space, no?

piggypatrol

Post   » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:48 am

he is inside yes, I dont think my parents have been turning on the air conditioning yet while im at work looks like we are still in a heat wave

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:21 pm

Just a warning that guinea pigs do not tolerate heat well at all. Friend of a friend of mine just got back from vacation this past weekend, and her grandmother had been watching the lady's two female guinea pigs while she was on vacation. Grandmother's air conditioning went out, but she didn't think much of it. It has been in the mid-to-upper 80's/low 90's. Long story short, one of the two females got overheated and dehydrated, and died. The lady is devastated; her grandmother feels terrible about it. A contributing factor, I think, was that the guinea pig liked to stay in her 'igloo' hidey, which has lousy air circulation. Just a very sad and preventable thing.

piggypatrol

Post   » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:15 pm

Oh wow ok I will definitely keep an eye out for that. He has been kinda hiding more so it’s leobably the heat. I put a water bottle on both floors of the cage so he doesn’t forget to drink and i asked my parents to turn on the air conditioning while I’m at work. Would it be bad to leave the window open for him on hot nights? Or is the fan a better choice

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:49 pm

Think of what would be comfortable for you.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:05 am

Another option for a hidey is an overturned plastic basket with a couple of openings cut out. The Dollar Tree has a few that are a good size for a guinea pig. After I cut out the openings I sand the edges so there are no rough spots. There is plenty of air circulation with these. https://www.instagram.com/p/ByosOfgBnCs ... q8r8j420c8

piggypatrol

Post   » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:25 pm

That is super cute! And ur piggy seemed to be enjoying it

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:05 pm

Definitely a safer option than a pigloo. You just have to keep an eye on it and make sure it doesn't get chewed up.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:01 pm

Sef is right - watch for chewing. Mine isn’t a chewer, she doesn’t chew Timothy twists or anything except apple sticks and carrots. But some are avid chewers, or start chewing if they are ill or in pain.

The “gazebo” is one of her favorites since she can hide and keep an eye on us. And I can slip blades of grass through the basket and she has to go around and pull them out.