Ruby and Her Puzzling Problem

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:05 pm

I am sorry you are having to deal with this. Your idea of bleach for disinfecting is a good one for the cage. The vinegar will certainly help and remove calcium deposits if left to soak a bit. Bleach (diluted) is an extremely effective disinfectant.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:23 pm

From a thread on coccidia by countrygirl49 back in 2016, Talishan writes, "Ditto Lynx on the bleach. Use only a very dilute solution; it doesn't take much bleach to kill any microbes. Rinse well, at least a couple of times. They HATE the smell of bleach. Get as much lingering smell off as possible, then dry. **Don't** use the 'splashless' bleaches. What they put in it to make it less likely to splash also makes it somewhat slimy and virtually impossible to thoroughly rinse off."

Shanna
Supporter in '19

Post   » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:35 am

Thanks so much to all of you. Still fighting the good fight. Poop was really good for a few days and back to smooshy today. I am taking it in for a culture tomorrow. She's been on Albon, Flagyl, SMZ, but not Baytril. I'm going to borrow a poo from our pig, Charlie, and give it to her. Is there such a thing as colitis in guinea pigs? What is the indication to use Baytril? What can and can't be used together?

Shanna
Supporter in '19

Post   » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:02 am

Also, Bene-bac and Bio-Sponge. I just gave her a poo from Charlie. I guess I shall see in the morning.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:41 am

Well darn. Has anything at all changed in her diet? Do you vary the diet much? We had a guinea pig, Lewis, who had what appeared to be a form of colitis or IBS. Most of the time he was fine; poops were nice, normal poops. Any time there was even a slight change in his diet, however, he'd have a nasty bout of loose stools that lasted for a day or two. Orchard grass was a major trigger, for some odd reason. I can't remember now what the other triggers were, but I had it narrowed down and avoided feeding him those foods.

Assuming the fecal comes back okay, might be worth trying an 'elimination' diet, starting with just green leaf lettuce and gradually adding in other veggies until you notice the loose stools again-?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:26 am

I remember green pepper being a trigger for a few guinea pigs. Remind me, is this just soft stool or watery diarrhea like stool?

And you saw no change with the Bio-Sponge at all? You are so thorough!

Shanna
Supporter in '19

Post   » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:32 pm

Well, it's kind of between soft, smooshy and diarrhea and switches back and forth from smooshy, to a bit more loose, to smooshy, to normal. Not watery. I determined a long time ago that she has a very sensitive stomach, so gets little to no leafy stuff or green pepper. (Makes me sad). She does eat orchard grass hay as well as timothy. That is interesting! No other changes in her diet. I gave her a Charlie poop this morning. Still smooshy. Maybe a bit worse. Vet is open tomorrow, but I have cardiologist appointment. I'll have husband deliver poop. She still eats and drinks normally.