Spencer's Abscess

RyanMarie24

Post   » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:18 pm

Sorry his first surgery was 06/06.

RyanMarie24

Post   » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:40 pm

Culture came back completely negative. The drain is removed. The vet pulled out the rest of the abscess that had died from the silver nitrate. Now we wait for the tissue swelling to subside. His next follow up is Sat.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:32 pm

Good to hear!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:06 pm

Yes, good news!

RyanMarie24

Post   » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:53 pm

Is it OK that when I clean the hole it bleeds a little? Like i clean it with a wet qtip first. Theres a lil blood. Then I flush it. I figured yes since its an open wound, but I just want to be sure.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:58 pm

It should start healing before long. You are using warm sterile saline to flush it? Why are you using a wet qtip? Only issue I see is possible re injury when you put it in the wound.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:44 pm

I wouldn't use the q-tip. Flushing should take care of it.

RyanMarie24

Post   » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:33 pm

Using a wet qtip to moisten the edges so i can flush it. Also wet the qtip when I pack the silvadene cream in the hole..don't want put a dry qtip into the hole.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:44 pm

The problem is, you've got new tissue forming inside the hole, which is what you want. It's pretty fragile, and swabbing it with a q-tip can mess it up. It's fine to use a wet q-tip to soak the crust and scab off so you can get the tip in to flush it, but if you then just put some ointment on the top of the hole and rub it gently for a minute or so, that would be better than sticking the q-tip in the hole.

RyanMarie24

Post   » Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:34 pm

Thank you! The vet told me to put the silvadene in the hole but i am going to do the way you suggested

RyanMarie24

Post   » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:19 am

Follow up went well. He just has a little granulated tissue. He has another follow up next week. The other vet who read the culture apparently didn't read it all BC after 5 days it showed growth of bacteroides. However, the lab didn't say what it is sensitive too ...so the vet has a call out to the lab. He said the Orbax should kill it...but he also may add Baytril or Flagyl. He will call me later today.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:46 am

I hope you can get it cleared up completely!