Bite Wound, Hole in Face

GreysGuineaPigs

Post   » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:33 pm

I’ve been giving her Bene-Bac 60 min- 90 min after each Baytril dose (I was fixing her the liquid twice daily before she ran out and vet switched me to tablets). Besides loose bowels and lack of appetite, are there any deadly toxicities to be worried about? She’s literally always lethargic (chunky for her size and a wee bit lazy) but I’ll try to watch out for any changes that are noticeable in that arena. Right now she’s got herself buried in a pile of hay that she’s munching at so I’m hope that will help move it along. Should I give her another dose in 12 hours, as if I’d given her a normal dose instead of double, or skip the next dose and wait 24 hours before giving the correct dose again?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:39 pm

I would start the correct dose in 12 hours. Ditto sef on the most likely issues. You might have no issues.

GreysGuineaPigs

Post   » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:14 pm

Fingers crossed...the vet tech had told me to crush the tab, mix with 1cc then give it to her...I took her word for it rather than reading the accompanying paperwork. Rookie mistake. Just went to petsmart and got her some of her favorite hay she can never resist (botanical) to mix with her normal oat/Timothy hay. I reserve it for when she’s sick to bribe her into eating...hopefully a whole bunch of hay will help ease her system a little.

Are there any other foods that are particularly good for, or need to be avoided in this situation? She usually gets a good handful of spring mix, but I’m not sure if it will help keep her tummy moving or hurt and just increase the loose stool outcome odds.

GreysGuineaPigs

Post   » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:19 pm

She also just took a gram of Bene-Bac. I went ahead and gave her the full gram that the vet said to give daily even though I gave her a half gram this morning with the last Baytril liquid dose (I gave her the correct dose this morning). I figure with a double dose of antibiotic, a double dose of probiotic isn’t going to make it worse at this point.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:48 pm

I think it sounds like a good plan.

GreysGuineaPigs

Post   » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:51 pm

Thanks for the help everyone. So far I’ve been really fortunate and Maggie has been just fine after the antibiotic mishap. She’s actually weighing more now than she ever has! The vet checked her again this evening just to make sure and said things are looking great so far. The tooth is finally growing in (almost halfway to normal length) and even though it is quite a bit more yellow than it should be, it’s progress. The abscess is shrinking and we check to make sure it’s gone and has stayed gone a week from this Saturday. Thanks again!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:30 pm

Sounds encouraging!

squeaky3

Post   » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:50 pm

I put something about the gassy-ness, but I didn't see all the other replies, seems like thing have progressed past that now and you're dealing with it, but I was also reading your post about the skin, it's likely that there is still some fungal skin infection there. I use a combination of Vet Sect Repel shampoo and Nizoral (human anti fungal shampoo) - you'll have to shampoo her every 2 days for 3 weeks, and you can either do the Nizoral first and then the Vet Sect or alternate them. I used this treatment on a poor little piggy that was fitting with a nasty fungal skin infection and she got better after the shampooing. You can also give 1/4 of a Dida tablet every day for 3 weeks, although Dida is quite expensive. Dida is a herbal antifungal treatment, Boots sells the tablets. You might want to take some yourself too as you mentioned you had been treating yourself for ringowrm :) - although maybe start this once everything else settles down!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:11 pm

squeaky3 -- the products you describe (Vet Sect Repel shampoo and Dida tablets) are not available here in the US, and we would likely not recommend their use. The shampoo contains cedarwood, which is a somewhat controversial ingredient. Dida has a number of iffy ingredients for small animals, including clove and garlic extracts.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:44 pm

I trust you treated for mites too? If your little guinea pig was fitting, squeaky3, it is possible she had concurrent mites.

GreysGuineaPigs

Post   » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:07 am

Hey all! Another tooth problem...

So Maggie’s top tooth finally grew back in, is white again, teeth are ~mostly~ even. I check on her teeth almost every other night, if not every night, just to be careful. Tonight I noticed her right tooth angling inward, which it hadn’t been day before yesterday. Upon closer inspection, her bottom tooth has a vertical crack/fracture running from the gum line to halfway up the tooth! The tooth is loose, in the sense that when I was trying to look at it, my finger barely bumped it and it pushed slightly more inward. I immediately put her down and left it alone. Other than the long crack, it is white and normal-looking. She’s still eating, although when I gave her her hard Oxbow Vit C tablet, she was clearly favoring her left side, as if trying to avoid eating with that tooth. Last time, I barely touched that top tooth and it came out, so I’m afraid to mess with this tooth, but I am also concerned that it will come out on its own, and since it’s angling inward, she could swallow it or choke on it while I’m at work today. All vets are closed here unless emergency due to COVID-19, and the vet said she won’t see her unless she stops eating. Any suggestions?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:36 am

Pull on it gently and see if it comes out.