Spencer's Abscess

RyanMarie24

Post   » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:28 pm

Me too! I think the Orbax is working because it hasn't come back yet. Fingers crossed! I just don't want to overload his system with meds since he is prone to bloat.

My tough guy.

RyanMarie24

Post   » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:25 pm

The vet wants me to massage the granulated tissue. Is it supposed to feel hard?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:57 pm

I don't know enough to comment about massaging the granulated tissue but it sounds odd (I do not have a medical background).

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:23 pm

Any chance you could post a photo of it?

RyanMarie24

Post   » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:51 pm

Unfortunately the granulated tissue is on the inside of the wound which is now almost closed. From what I researched (on humans and horses) it can be hard and firm as it's new tissue growth from healing. I did email the vet to check...waiting for a reply.

I chose the massaging route as he said they can do laser therapy on it if I didn't want to massage (I guess it softens it because it's fibrous tissue??). I don't even want to know the cost of that lol

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:00 am

I went looking via google on massage and granulated tissue. There do seem to be benefits to massaging in breaking up scarred tissue. I don't recall any guinea pig treated by a vet that included massage but there is always a first time! I hope it helps the abscess heal.

RyanMarie24

Post   » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:41 am

It just makes me paranoid that the lump is there. Makes me think the abscess is back. I'm still waiting to hear from the vet. I'm going to call in. I have no patience. He told me if i feel the abscess coming back to bring him in. I don't know exactly how to feel for a difference. The lump does run the length of where the drain was. 🤔🤔 I did purchase some hibiscrub to flush what opening is left. I'm going to use a warn compress later if he'll let me to see.

RyanMarie24

Post   » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:17 am

The lump feels like bone if that makes sense and when i massage it..it feels like im rubbing over a little vein on one part.

I left the vet a message. My boss happens to be good friends with him. I'm going to ask her to reach out to him because he's off today.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:58 am

I would, just for peace of mind. That doesn't sound normal to me. Do let us know what you find out, okay?

RyanMarie24

Post   » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:17 pm

His vet is not in until Monday. I did reach out to the vet I got Spencer from because I keep him updated on how he's doing. He said its granulation tissue and it can take months to resolve. He said an abscess wouldn't feel like rubbing bone. Spencer has a follow up Tuesday so I'm going to make his vet check again.

It be easier to take him to the vet I got him from....but to be honest...he's kinda of creepy and creeps me out lol.

RyanMarie24

Post   » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:44 pm

Spencer had to see a different exotic vet as his is sick in the hospital. He said he doesn't feel any abscess and it's just tissue. He said there's a little pus but its not thick, it's just watery. He said Spencer will be on Orbax for another 3 months to make sure the bacteria is gone. I'm going to keep flushing the tiny hole 3xs a day with hibiclens and saline.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:27 pm

Dilute the hibiclens. It's too strong to use straight out of the bottle.

And I don't have great feelings about that vet. Guinea pig pus is watery? I don't think so. They lack an enzyme that makes pus runny like human pus is. GP pus is thick and cheesy. And Orbax for three months? I wouldn't do it to my pig.