Longer cage or wider cage?

SardonicSmile

Post   » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:14 am

Sadly I had to remove the wheels because I am using wood pellets as their bedding. It got too heavy for the grids,they started to bend, too much pressure on a small surface. I think if I had used a lot more casters (like one at every grid corner) it might have held. (I will have a think about what to do next because I do want a moveable cage, especially for easier cleaning)
Right now the cage sits on a small carpet which is not anti slip, so the cage can stil be moved right along with the carpet, but it is limited moveability.)

If you use none heavy bedding it works great. Just ziptie the wheels to the grid. (Make sure the little plate on the wheel is slightly bigger than a square of the grid. I took a grid to the shop to make sure I had the right size.)

Renonvsparky

Post   » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:22 am

Still a very nice setup. Some very lucky guinea pigs are going to have a very nice home. Please post pictures when you get them.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:54 pm

How about using those “Sliding Robots” that you see on the Seen on TV commercials? I put them on under the corners of our dog cage, and under a small refrigerator that we have. They have a foam pad on top and a hard smooth plastic on the bottom that glides across carpet and floors.

Otherwise you may have to make a wood frame for the casters kind of like the ones movers use with large furniture and appliances.

SardonicSmile

Post   » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:22 pm

I will put a wood base on wheels underneath the cage. Will put screws through the middle of the bottom corner connectors to attach the cage to the base to keep it from moving. It is in the making.

Meanwhile I added plastic corner pieces to the cage to get rid of the folded flaps. And I put an aluminium (aluminum) cover over the edges, so no more open channels or sharp edges. And it looks pretty.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bslh766igkjdt ... 7.jpg?dl=0

And I have two girlies now! I don’t really know their age, but they are young still. If I had to guess between 2 to 3 months old. They were a gift after a very stressful day at the dental surgeon. (I have fears and mental issues, it was not fun and next time I will demand sedation as to be out completely instead of just local aneasthetic)

Izzy, about 550grams
https://www.dropbox.com/s/k0e5j42mm6se4 ... 8.jpg?dl=0

Maia, about 450 grams
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z6o9c1r1qjnd6 ... 1.jpg?dl=0

(And Lynx if you want you can add the pictures permanently. My photobucket is way over the limit and I haven’t looked for a new hosting site yet, hence me using dropbox links)

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:23 pm

Cute piggies!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:23 pm

I have a note to add your pics (thanks!). Can't do it now. Falling asleep at the keyboard.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:35 pm

They’re so cute! What little sweethearts!