Spencer's Abscess

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:19 pm

Yes, that is a very long time!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:13 am

When could your usual vet see him again? Or is there another exotics vet in the area you could take him to for a re-check if needed? I don't know what this other vet was seeing, but as bpatters stated guinea pig pus generally has a thick, toothpaste-like consistency.

Ditto dilution of the Hibiclens. See:
https://www.guinealynx.info/antiseptic_solutions.html

RyanMarie24

Post   » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:59 pm

The vet that saw him is an exotic vet as well. He did show me the pus and it looked watery. It doesn't smell. Even after his two surgeries that vet said it was watery pus and exploded all over him and gagged from the smell...so Spencer must be a medical mystery lol. All joking aside, I honestly thought it was the from the wound healing BC the skin is almost all closed.

They want to use the Orbax that long as the lab couldn't get a sensitivity test on the bacteroides the culture grew.

Yes the hibiclens is very diluted. We use it in the ER I work at 😊. He's supposed to have a follow up with the vet next week...as long as he's still not sick.

WorkingPig24

Post   » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:31 pm

Bpatters I don't think I've ever heard of guinea pigs not having an enzyme to produce watery pus. Do you have a link to where you've heard that? Curious
Good to hear your boy is doing better!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:39 pm

WorkingPig24

Post   » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:19 pm

Bpatters, this isn't a medical journal with proven facts or a study where they have proven this enzyme to be true. Just an opinion from a doctor. Do you have a medical article with proven research on the subject?
I could not find anything to support this statement

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:15 pm

Answering a similar question on another website, this individual appears to be a veterinarian and says the same thing:
"It needs to be drained, cleaned and your Guinea Pig needs to be put on antibiotics for 2-3 weeks. Guinea Pigs are not very good at fighting infections on their own and usually need help doing that, they also do not possess the adequate enzymes to break down pus so it stays pasty and doesn't resolve without treatment."
https://www.petcoach.co/question/?id=146973

WorkingPig24 -- I'd be curious to know why, as a new member with no other posts, you opted to jump onto someone else's medical thread and grill one of our most experienced moderators. Odd.

RyanMarie24

Post   » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:34 pm

So far I haven't heard back on if his vet will be in this coming week. The lump of tissue has shrunk some...hoping the massaging is helping! He's starting to get annoyed with me doing it though.

WorkingPig24

Post   » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:53 pm

Ryan, I hope he gets better and that your regular vet is in for his next trip! I know having to have a different vet can be uncomfortable to deal with. Did they say how long it may take for the lump to shrink completely?

I'd like to state I'm not grilling, I'm asking where she got her information. I have never heard that before as the experience doesn't mean everything said or done is right. Asking for reference to studies, there's nothing wrong with that. I was under the impression I could ask questions here? She said the pus couldn't be watery/runny when I've seen several videos of pus being drained from a guinea pig and it was watery/runny.
I don't see what me being new has to do with asking for a medical report of a study on the enzymes of a guinea pig. I was a vet student for a long time, I enjoy studying specific scientific research about subjects such as this.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:26 pm

WorkingPig24, I'd like to see your sources for videos of watery pus from a guinea pig.

RyanMarie24

Post   » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:23 am

The tissue can be there a few weeks to a few months while the inside heals. I'm just paranoid mom and feel it multiple times a day to make sure the abscess isn't coming back.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:31 am

I've seen numerous medical sources over the years that refer to guinea pig/rodent pus as being thick and caseous, and therefore difficult to drain, so I'm surprised to hear about watery pus. I can only go with my own experience, which is that of thick, sometimes lumpy pus. Our Sebastian had a couple of lumps that had to be drained, and the material almost looked like tapioca pudding.

There's absolutely wrong with staying on top of things, RyanMarie24. I think it makes you a good guinea pig parent.