At vets now but any suggestions?

MarlowePieper11

Post   » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:31 am

I am at the vets with my guinea pig now but in case they can't come to a solution here is the problem. My guinea pig has been drinking more than usual and I woke up to no poops in his cage. when I touch his stomach he makes a noise like it feels uncomfortable. He is acting normal but I wanted to get him to the vets before anything serious happens. If I think about it maybe he's been eating a little bit less than usual but I didn't notice until I saw no poops in his cage

MarlowePieper11

Post   » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:38 am

As a follow up, the doctor just saw him. He said because he is still eating and drinking and he looks well hydrated and his bladder is empty and he doesn't feel any obstructions and his bum is clear that we will start with a medication to get his GI tract going which will hopefully take effect soon.

MarlowePieper11

Post   » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:50 am

Metoclopramide are the meds they started him on

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:39 pm

That would have been my suggestion as well, if the vet knows for sure that he doesn't have a bowel blockage.

Does this guinea pig already have a medical thread?

MarlowePieper11

Post   » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:01 pm

I just started this thread today.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:06 pm

I know you started this particular thread today, but I just wanted to make sure you hadn't posted anything about this particular pig previously. It helps us to know the pig's medical history, as previous health issues could be relevant (which is why Lynx has a "one thread per pig" rule in the Medical forum).

Hope the Reglan helps.

MarlowePieper11

Post   » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:39 am

The meds worked, 2.5 hours after his first dose he was passing his food. Phew

MarlowePieper11

Post   » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:00 am

Well, none overnight, maybe a couple while it's usually 20. And very little so far this am. We will continue on the meds and see what happens! Could it be a new food allergy?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:20 pm

Does he look bloated? What med was given?

MarlowePieper11

Post   » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:01 pm

He is doing better today, poops in his igloo this morning and ran all around for floor time. He was given the above meds, we are still giving them to him.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:08 pm

Oops, sorry about that. Not operating on a lot of sleep lately.

Exercise is good for motility. Here's hoping for continued improvement.