Guinea pig ding-a-ling...cauliflower willy? help?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:41 am

Hmmm, I have missed out on so much..

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:20 pm

You get it used to it. And yes -- they can get hair and all manner of stuff stuck up there.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:16 pm

The lovely, odorous cheesy stuff is a mixture of smegma, dead skin cells, and glandular secretions that discharge into the anal sac. Perfectly normal, but very, um, fragrant.

Neutering can help some males with that to some extent, but there's no guarantees and with some, it doesn't make any difference at all.

meganmarie

Post   » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:42 pm

This question isn't really about his 'bits' specifically, but...Winter is neutered. 1. Can he still produce boar glue...? Because i'm pretty sure he does. 2. He boar glued one of my other piggies, Ginger. I tried to get it out with warm water and shampoo and it just...fell off into my hand. She now has a beautiful dime sized area where I can see her little baby pink skin. : ( poor little baby. It just...fell off. It was almost like a mat. I can't imagine that was comfortable.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:04 pm

Just let it be. It'll come off naturally.

meganmarie

Post   » Fri May 26, 2017 2:22 am

So, this is about Winter, so i just decided to use his thread. Tonight, he bit my fiance. LIke, really hard. The girls are in heat, and so he was chasing them. This tends to really get one of my girls, Pumpkin, really, really upset. He'll chase her until she's trying to run up the walls(he is, neutered, though). He was chasing Pumpkin, and they were in a small fleece forest we have set up, and my boyfriend just put his hand in the cage and pushed him by his bum(gently, just trying to nudge him away). and he turned and bit him right on the meaty part of his palm. It's not too deep, but it bled a lot. I have my own ideas why this happened, but i'd like some reassurance. Winter has never been a biter and is one of the sweetest pigs i own. I'm just concerned how he lashed out, and what if it was one of the girls. Any thoughts? Will he continue to bit now that he has bit and drew quite a bit of blood?

Kimera

Post   » Fri May 26, 2017 10:14 am

I think that the boar thought that it was another competing male, and that is why he bit. In my experience only extremely annoyed or already fighting boars bit human hands, always by mistake. What's more, a moment later the offender managed to look guilty and never continued to bite.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri May 26, 2017 10:14 am

Somehow I think this was a one-of, not an indication he has changed. I think he was just worked up.

I think I was bitten only twice by my pigs. One time I was walking around looking for a nail clipper and I am SURE Nina read my mind and did NOT want her nails clipped! It was the only time she ever bit me.

meganmarie

Post   » Fri May 26, 2017 4:56 pm

I think my fiance was hurt more emotionally than physically. I cleaned it and looked at it. It bled a TON, but it wasn't deep at all. just long. it looked like Winter had taken a bite out of an apple; out of the meat of his hand. You could see his teeth slices. ugh. He just essentially peeled off a layer of skin. At first i've was cautious around Winter, and this morning he's still chasing the girls. But when i woke up, he came over to the cage, waited patiently for pellets, and got ear rubs. I've been putting my hand in the cage all day, petting him in the cuddle sacks, fleece forest, eating hay. He's been fine. I can't help to shake the feeling that he knows he bit my fiance. He is acting...almost shy around him now. It might just be me, I don't know. I even picked him up a few times today, and he was totally cool, just squeaked, went 'this is happening' and then turned into a lump in my hand, like normal. I think you guys were right and he was just so fired up at the time and was all male and 'MUST HUMP FEMALE'.

meganmarie

Post   » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:56 pm

Hi. Long time no post...winter is now 8. He is my oldest living pig. He is starting to have weakness in his back legs. He keeps getting recurrent UTI's. As hes aged, hes developed sludge. But I think hes gotten this uti from him having trouble getting around. Hes been on metacam long term, when he got x-rays and our vet determined he has significant arthritis in his lower back and back legs. I dont think its scurvy, I give all of my elderly pigs vitamin c every day....I think the metacam isnt cutting it anymore. Any suggestions? What is a stronger medicine that would be beneficial to him? I also put spaced hay bags and water bottles in our cage, so he doesnt have to walk far, or jump up for hay.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:57 am

What dose are you using with Metacam? (what his weight, and what is the strength of the Metacam--.5mg/ml or 1.5?). Otherwise, you could try Tramadol, but the advantage to an NSAID is that it also helps with inflammation.

Let me do some digging...awhile back I had looked into a product that was being used with arthritic rabbits, but the name escapes me at the moment.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:44 pm

Look in the medical sticky for some info on arthritis. Might be something on that (formerly sticky) that could help.

Edit. This topic:
https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=34228