Bad piggy mum :(

squeaky3

Post   » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:07 pm

Hey guys, I haven't posted for a while, but here I am....

Ginger is still doing well a year after her op, but unfortunately we lost her cage mate Jemima to an abdominal growth which obstructed her gut back in February.

Ginger has been doing fine on her own, but I've been looking for either some new friends or floor time friends for her.

I got two sweet rescue piggies, one is a sweetheart and the other has had a rough start in life, and is very skittish but also very dominant and aggressive. The plan was only to have outdoor time and floor time together as Ginger is getting on in life and could do without zooming young piggies everywhere all the time.

The new piggies are called Lulu and Lily.

Theyve been out on the lawn... a bit of sniffing and chasing, but all good. I set up a large floor area with open hideys and food in the middle. All was going great for over an hour until.... Lily rumblestrutted near Ginger, who did not respond at all, and then Lily pulled out some hair tufts. I thought, no blood drawn, Ginger will respond and they'll work it out, but it quickly progressed to charging and biting, with some blood drawn (by Lily) Gingers only response is to shriek and run away, she did not turn and bite back. There was no 'Fury Ball', Ginger just tried to get away. Lily also bit Lulu, but no blood drawn. Lulu is fine with Ginger.

I feel so bad... I didn't want Ginger to be hurt. Now she has 3 bite wounds. I have applied some ointment, they don't seem really deep, but is there anything else I can do to soothe her wounds? I will be checking her every day. I was once bitten by an angry boar so I know guinea pig bites can be quite sore.

I won't be putting them together again, they will always have separate areas.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:08 pm

You can rinse with a warm saline solution. Avoid antibiotic creams, as they can be licked off and ingested, depending on where the wounds are. You can use a dilute Betadine solution as well. If the wounds are deep, you will want to keep a very close eye on it and see a vet for oral antibiotics if you notice redness, swelling, or discharge/signs of infection.