Massive guinea Pig

Hedra2

Post   » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:09 pm

Wondering what a normal weight for a guinea pig is. I thought it was around 2lbs or so. I ask because I finally found a scale and weighed all 3 of my pigs.

Halloween is up to 1lb 13oz thanks to his dental surgery and is starting to look like a normal pig again. His buddy Smores who seems like an average sized pig is 2lbs 10 oz, but our other pig Spooky (who the kids call "Big Chungus" or "Moto Moto" cuz he's so big) is a whopping 3lbs 5oz! I've never had a pig this big before. He's not super fat or anything, he is just huge. His, ahem testicles are massive too -like twice as big as the other pigs. Could this be why he is such a meathead? He never stops rumblestrutting and mounting and fighting with the other two pigs - hence the reason he is in a separate cage next to the other two.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:56 pm

All of my sows have weighed at or just under three pounds. Doesn't seem so "whopping" to me.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:14 pm

Ditto. Mr Bubbles is pretty big too and hovers around 3 lbs. He's slightly under that right now, but in the winter when he gets no outside time, he's been known to get up to 3 lbs, 5 oz. I wouldn't worry about it as long as he's active and doesn't show signs of being sick.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:11 pm

My guys range from roughly 2 lbs. 6 oz. to 2 lbs. 12 oz. I don't think I have ever had one over 3 lbs. There are some who would consider 3+ lbs. over-weight, but if the pig is active and healthy, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I tend to not feed a lot of pellets, which is probably the difference. Genetics can play a role, too, just as with people.

Hedra2

Post   » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:44 am

Other than a big cyst we had to have removed from his ear he is healthy and active, he's just such a boy. I wish he would calm down a little so he could have a buddy.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:10 pm

I have 2 that hover around 3 pounds each. Have you considered neutering him and finding him a nice sow to hang with?