Recurrent UTI's, no stones

amberkenn2016

Post   » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:42 am

Sef, I apologize, you probably didn't misread but only that I didn't include that bit in the first place.

I wasn't aware that flipping on his back had to do with a seizure though. I thought he was just incredibly scared and wanted to play dead, especially if the way they manipulated him caused him pain. I swear to god they will not hear the end of this.

I'll do my best to keep everyone here posted, but after recently losing a pig of mine a month ago, I don't know if I'll be able to hold up.

amberkenn2016

Post   » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:59 am

I just gave him another feeding and he looks more alert than he was before. That and he seemed to have the energy to keep fighting off the syringe! He seems quite sore though, because if I touch his hind legs he will give me the business. He was also moving about his cage a little bit rather than balling himself up in the corner. And I also caught him eating a little bit!

I need to clarify however that he was indeed on his back for the test, but when he came back in the room afterwards he was flipping on his back. I'm almost convinced that he was in both shock and in pain enough to have that little episode. He hasn't been flipping at all since he got home, but he just hasn't been moving around much due to the pain.

His eyes were also runny. His brother had episodes like that where if he was stressed out he would cry tears, but in this case I'm thinking it's the pain.

I really don't want to call it quits on him since he's not paralyzed, because it seems to me he just has the bad arthritis.

amberkenn2016

Post   » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:58 pm

Update: George is not looking so hot. He's still refusing to eat, so I'm guessing the metacam is not working. I've stepped in and started supplementing vitamin C into his diet more, as I now realize he was not voluntarily taking too much prior to going downhill. I also spoke with the vet, and he says the prednisone would be worth a shot. He is also putting him on buprenorphine twice daily to help with the pain. Are those two medications okay to put together?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:04 pm

Here is some info an analgesics that might help:
www.guinealynx.info/analgesics.html

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:07 am

Poor little guy. Are you still handfeeding him?

Buprenorphine is a fairly heavy-duty opioid that can slow down the gut. Tramadol might be a better option, which tends to be less sedating, but I would discuss these concerns with your vet.

See also:
https://www.guinealynx.info/pain.html

amberkenn2016

Post   » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:45 am

Just had another vet appointment, turns out George has developed bloat along with a possible URI. The vet wants to try Baytril for the possible URI but is adding Metoclopramide for the gas in his tummy. We are still going with the buprenorphine, as my vet is certain that the dosage is at a tolerable level for him. They also performed laser therapy on him, just to start easing his joints and possibly his back. He seemed a little more mobile after the therapy, so I'm praying he'll pull through.

He still isn't eating voluntarily and hasn't moved too much. I want to give him the best shot he has at getting life back into him, as he is the family piggy and would do anything for him. I do have a question on ethics, but if all of this fails to help him, would it be selfish of me to PTS? I don't want this to burden him much longer, as I want to keep his best interest in mind. He has always been a fighter, and I don't want to give up on him now.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:58 pm

I don't know if this will help you but you might wish to read it:
https://www.guinealynx.info/euthanasia.html

amberkenn2016

Post   » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:22 pm

He's doing much worse. He has had a couple of coughing fits and as a result of the buprenorphine, he barely has enough energy to swallow things down. Before it he would at least chew, but now he's hardly doing that. He also started squeaking and tried to run away from us like he was hysterical. I'm not sure what to do.

Even my dad says this one is a hard call. He's probably in pain from his arthritis and he's dealing with bloat and an URI on top of that. I hate myself for ever bringing him in. I should've just kept him home that day and tried other things to help him. I love him so much, and I hate myself for bringing him in to get looked at.

I'm hoping that he won't suffer for too much longer.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:29 pm

Well, if you don't take him back to be euthanized, he'll be in pain until he dies. Sometimes the kindest thing you can do for them is to let them go.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:44 pm

Don't beat yourself up over this. We all do the best we can with the information that we have at the time. As a friend recently reminded me, guinea pig medical care is not an exact science. You saw that he wasn't improving; you wanted to help him. The vet did what he/she thought best to try to determine what the problem was and try to resolve it. Nobody is to blame for this.

These little guys are fragile, and although I've had a number of guinea pigs who dealt with illness, surgery, etc., and bounced right back, I've had others that just seemed to give up.

amberkenn2016

Post   » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:56 pm

George has passed away. He went fairly quickly, and he was surrounded by his loved ones. He was at home and comfortable.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:54 pm

I'm so sorry, amberkenn2016.