Unsure of what happened to my pig

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:10 am

It sounds like you are dealing with a lot of issues. From everything you have said, you are doing all the right things. I know how draining this can be, what with worry and not getting enough sleep. I surely hope things become manageable and you have some quality, worry-free time with him.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:46 am

Ditto.

Only thing I will add, is that guinea pigs generally don't tolerate extreme heat well. Do you have air conditioning, or at least a fan that can circulate air (without blowing directly on them) to help keep their living area relatively cool?

Lisa12

Post   » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:43 am

Update from us:)

Ringo is walking again altough it seems fairly impossible, considering the state he was in!!So he got out again..what can I say:)! He got out of problems again..altough its Quite tough taking care of him cause border collies are attention seekers in general..and now as he is that old he doesnt want to be alone, so is 24/7program with him-luckily no vet visits are awaiting for him.

Irie got a little fatter again. I was at his vets with my sister.. the one who was working was the one who keep on saying to me that Irie wont completely recover and I kept on losing it, it was Quite insane:), but he was really kind and he got us Gentamicyn, it seems we ll keep him on that for now. His dossage are relatively low-we sorted that out perfectly.

But with pigs there are problems and i am very happy that i can ask you for few advices. The problem is his urinating..sometimes he only does few drops-i cant say if he is *marking* or what, but I am not at all happy. Hisurine sometimes is a little darker-altough I would go with light orange, rather than rosy-i cant say-its not like you could clearly say.
Once Ringo got kidney infection and there was visible blood in urine,like red,fresh. Its not like that. When I check in cage he urinates steadily, but little-altough its not hot here anymore luckily and he is drinking less. Yesterday he was doing that I freaked out, but at the evening he urinated normaly and Quite a lot. Today is the same story. I always go what if he cant do it and my sister goes you are crazy:). I ll be honest i never know where i stand with this pig s stuff.

His vet said he can x-ray him again as he is stillmaking sounds..if i bring him, i didnt know if he would agree to do it and i didnt want to bring him so he wont get some other infection or whatever, so Irie was not with us at Friday.

Is there visible blood if there are the stonesat some point like fresh, red?
Or if pig is not eating?
I mean if you can please write some clear signs..

We did great and I think are still and I hope i am freaking out a little bit, but I am not happy with small drops of urine instead of puddles..there are
puddles in the cage tough and his cage is 160x70 so its big and you can easily see it.

I hate to bring himto vet, but I dont know..I ll probably Will have to do it this week if he wont start urinating more..its normal for males few drops only?

Thanks..I appriciate your help somuch, cause as I said with pigs i never know where I stand.. even with Ringo is hard to say at almost 15 sometimes.
Irie is turning 4 on 31.10 and if he ll do it i would be so grateful..i even an now.. mylovely swine. best friends forever…:)

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:21 am

A urinary tract infection can cause incomplete voiding, but stones would be a bigger concern. If there are stones in the bladder that are small enough to move into the urethra, they can cause a partial or even full blockage -- and that is an emergency situation. Typical signs of bladder stones are blood in the urine, crying and hunching when eliminating; UTI can be secondary. The bladder can become irritated and inflamed, it can be painful (watch for typical signs of pain such as hunched, rough appearance; lack of appetite; etc.)

Lisa12

Post   » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:43 am

Okay thanks !!
As I wrote it doesnt look like blood to me, at least not clearly, its always orange like not bloody like. I ve got to translate some words of yours to get it correctly:).
I think I will bring him in one day just for the peace of mind and his safety in summer cause of course when there is colder weather and we re uphill i have him at home we re living in Quite high place:)and its getting colder in begining or end of September here, so..if wedont have emergency situations my pigs stay in the mountains:)

I dont even bring Ringo to vet i just go to get pills. With all our problems.. let at least them have peace if they can..but we cant x-ray Irie at home despite wewould love too, haha(his vet said like you it would be good to check his ureter again).. and btw we re staying at home, i wont go on holidays this year-that is my gift and sacriface for Ringo and Irie..and we have my sister s cat Ziggy hanging with us(nocontact with pig, anymore) cause she s on holidays..:)

Thanks again.. I ll update.. when we have some new informations..and if anyone is dealing with same diagnosis as IRie(nebulizer works greatly!) I hope I can give at least some informations back to dedicated and experienced members of this cool forum!:)

Lisa12

Post   » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:44 am

Oh yeah and I forgot too wrote..he urinated Quite a lot in the afternoon luckily..

Lisa12

Post   » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:39 pm

Oh.. I hope its alright i wrote an update.. Ringo got me through couple of slepless nights..he needs to go outside during the night cause of his incontinence.. its so..i dont know..i am so tired, what can i say.
And than Irie started shouting more and getting more nervous when he urinates.. i swear i dont have a clue if its normal or its not.. it doesnt seem too promising.. but than its very confusing cause he eats a more grass and i dont know if its kind of hard on his belly.. i try not to give him too much of it. I would so like to not bring him to vet, but I really cant say whats going on with him:(. Sometimes there are darker spots on his bedding or he is urinating a bitless..but it doesnt seems so critical although I dont like it but I this sqeeqing when popping and than even sometimes its hard to say if its when he urinates too-usually it doesnt seem so but today it was a bit wierder.

I ll tell you all animal and pig owners-i try to be so strong and fight and never give up but this just way too hard sometimes. And with my lot(zig is back with my sister)that sometimes is quite impossible.
I llcall tomorrow when vet Works next week(there are three and not all Works every day or something like that) who promised us x-ray, if i can bring Irie..is that okay, what do you pig professionals say? I do not know what more to do...

I am so grateful that i have Irie and Ringo, but I was so underweighted at winter that I even passed out-i just couldnt deal with the fact that no one can help us(that was before we find out that Gentamicyn is helping him).. Can you imagine how crazy this little pigs are driving us.. but my dad is always saying to me, you cant live his life instead of him, it doesnt matter how much you love him.. One month dog is not walking, another month pig is shouting more when defecating..ah how lucky we re.. we have to be bastards..and somehow make it...
Pleas, please keep fingers crossed for us..I ll keep you posted

Best regards,
T&I

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:26 pm

I'd say you need to get him to a vet for xrays. Again, crying and hunching when urinating and defecating is classic bladder stone behavior. It needs to be ruled out, at the very least. If he's not urinating normally, there could be a blockage, which is a potentially life-threatening situation.

Lisa12

Post   » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:55 pm

Thanks!!
It seems we dont have much choice. I hope itwill be ruled out, we re going with best attitude. We re doing it next week for x-rays than. I dont wanna risk his life like that..he s my swine and he lives like a king, anyway! ;) I ll let you know what they Will find out, hopefully nothing serious.

Lisa12

Post   » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:46 am

Irie s results are negative again..his vet check him out, also.its so wierd when i watched him take our swine away:p but they came back quickly:). He said he didnt see anything wrong. We ve got also this for urinogram or whatever is called to see if there is blood in urine..(his bladder was completely empty-so he couldnt check). I checked this at home for Ringo few times as well.. i hope it Will be good and we can do it, cause we must take a photo and sends results back. Whoops:). But Ringo had bloood in urine cause of kidneys and we can only hope IRie s test Will be negative.

I know pigs can have stones..but.. males can have a lot of other things as well so lets hope there is no blood. Thanks for advices.. :)!;)

Lisa12

Post   » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:09 am

Eh you see if anybody knows or have time.. I sometimes I got this post vet visit questions. And I was Quite tired last time there with Irie and my sister. I was like Jimi Hendrix said knowledge speaks, wisdom listens..andi just listened, i wasnt up for any in depth discussions.
I tought all went perfect..but than last night Irie had some sort of brown spots(like just a drop or two ) on his beddings. It was very little but I didnt like it.

His vet brought him for x-rays, but didnt x-ray him cause for that pighas to stay there for three hours, but he did diascopy through x-ray or whatever if you know what i mean. He said he didnt see nothing wrong at all-no shadows. So as it was nothing wrong he said he doesnt need to wait for ful x-rays, all i know is this is with same *machines*or whatever. Is anybody familiar with it?

I trust him and i know he s experienced doctor and wants the best for Irie, but last time the other vet did ful x-ray. I dont know maybe its same results probably as I read.

I decided I ll checkfor blood in urine and send result to him as he said, of course on tuesday with this test he gave us. And than I decided as I have stuff for Ringo at home-forurinecheck out-you can check out for blood with any professional urine test paper-I also asked that if they use the same as for dogs. I decided if his urine Will be darker (whenever -for the future) i ll immidiatly check with Ringos test pappers,cause i haveplenty of them.

I am writing to you cause I wouldnt like to do something wrong and as i wrote i trust his vet its just i am really not all that knowledgable with this medicinal things..and if we go at home and things repeated i think did we do something now or it was all for nothing,...it makes me anoxious so Iwas Quite in bad mood when I saw he left few drops of darker urine..today it was all a lot, clear and without anything wrong.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:16 pm

I'm not sure what you're asking. Are you wanting to know if we think you should insist on x-rays?