Eloise Medical Topic

CuteGuineas

Post   » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:09 pm

I think I am probably just being paranoid, but throwing the question out there anyway: Is coughing in a pig anything to be concerned about if it only happened a few times in one day and if she otherwise seems normal?

My little 1 year old pig was making a coughing noise not long after I fed them yesterday evening, and then later she that night she did it again. Just now as I was typing this, she did it twice again. Her eyes, nose, and mouth all look normal; and she appears to be breathing normally. She is also eating fine as usual.

My husband thinks we should take her to the vet to be checked just in case. So I got an appointment for her the day after tomorrow. Do you think it is possible that she might have a respiratory infection even though she seems ok otherwise? And what would have caused it? I have tried hard to keep their pen clean; I spot clean every day (usually 2-3 times per day lately). We also recently switched to fleece.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:14 pm

My guess is that if it only happens after she eats, she's getting a little something stuck in her throat. If she were coughing because of a URI, it would happen throughout the day.

What exactly are you feeding her? And what size chunks do you cut her veggies in? (Hint: bigger is better.)

CuteGuineas

Post   » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:27 pm

Ok, that is somewhat reassuring. I am not usually home during the day, though, because that is when I work, so she could be doing it while I am gone. But I am usually home in the evening, and that is when I have heard her do it (though just a few episodes as noted above).

What do I feed her: Oxbow Timothy hay and pellets and an assortment of veggies, including bell peppers, spring mix, red and green leaf lettuce, and cilantro (which is a new one for them, but they love it). I also fed them a few mint leaves the other day. I don’t chop the veggies into tiny pieces or anything. Also, most days they get an Oxbow Vitamin C tab and a urinary support tab.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:32 pm

Is this your first topic about this guinea pig? If so, let us know what your guinea pig's name is and this can be her medical topic.

CuteGuineas

Post   » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:41 pm

Yes, this is the first medical topic. Her name is Eloise. :)

I should also mention that their new fleece liner has a blanket pocket that they love to hide underneath. Maybe she is spending too much time under there and possibly breathing in hair or pee/poop? I do clean under there at least daily as I said, and change out the whole liner for a fresh one about every three days, but maybe that’s not enough. Or she could be fine and just eating her food too fast, but it is a little concerning that she has done it a few times now.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:45 pm

Absolutely the pocket can be a problem. Somewhere on here there's a thread about a pig with an ongoing respiratory illness that only finally cleared up when the pockets were blocked.

CuteGuineas

Post   » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:51 pm

Oh boy. Thanks, that’s good to know. We will have to make the pocket inaccessible. Too bad, because it’s their favorite thing, but it’s not worth having them get sick.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:26 pm

Instead of the pocket you can drape some light fabric or fleece in the corner. I use little binder clips and clip 3 corners of a fleece square in the corner of her cage. The free corner hangs down so it’s like a little hidey or tunnel. There’s plenty of air flow and she feels like she’s hiding.

CuteGuineas

Post   » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:27 pm

I will try that, thanks! 🙂

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:17 am

I will also add...I had a guinea pig in the past who sometimes choked on cilantro. I don't now what it was about it that caused him to have trouble chewing/swallowing it. None of the others have ever had an issue with it.

CuteGuineas

Post   » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:25 am

I am trying to decide if we should cancel the vet appointment tomorrow. My feeling is that we keep an eye on her but maybe hold off for now?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:38 am

I'd watch for a day or so and see how she's doing, but if your gut feeling tells you there's something wrong, then you should keep the appointment.