Vitamin C Tablets

PipSqueaker

Post   » Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:38 pm

I’ve been considering starting to give my pigs Vitamin C Chewable Tablets, like Abby from Skinnypigs1 does. My one pig refuses to eat bell pepper, and I think it’d be healthy for my older pig, too. I just think it’d be healthy to add a small amount along with their veggies and pellets, of course.

I don’t know what kind of brand to buy though! I don’t want to accidentally poison my pigs. I live in America, so the brand shown in the videos are too expensive. HAs anyone found any from Walmart, Target, Amazon, etc, that works for them? Are the vita drops any good if dropped onto lettuce/a veggie? Thanks for any replies!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:58 pm

Vita Drops are fine, and most pigs will take them from a syringe. Just don't put them in the water bottle.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:12 pm

Sherwood Animal Health makes a chewable tablet:
Sherwood Vitamin C

I actually like this product better, which is a mist and can be spritzed on veggies:
Oasis Guinea Pig Vitamin C

samim21

Post   » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:42 pm

I really like the oxbow vitamin c treats. They are not very expensive and my pigs really enjoy them.

CavyDad
Supporter in 2018

Post   » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:50 am

My pigs are hit and miss with the Oxbow Vitamin C treats, so I started giving a liquid supplement by syringe. I use ChildLife, which can be found on Amazon, and in places like Sprouts.

CleoCharity

Post   » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:35 pm

Every pig I've had has loved the Oxbow Vitamin C tablets (although this might just be them), but they're so high in vitamin c that my vet warned us to only give it to them on days when they haven't eaten a lot of bell pepper.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:05 pm

Not sure I understand the comment about the Oxbow Vitamin C tabs. They have 25mg of vitamin C, which is the daily recommended amount. I do seem to recall, though, that they are fairly high in calcium.

CleoCharity

Post   » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:04 pm

My vet told me to either feed half a tablet of the Oxbow Vitamin C tablets or not to feed them if they had lots of bell pepper or cherry tomatoes (which I limit anyways because of their acidity) that day. We had been talking about vitamin C, so I assumed that's what they meant when they mentioned the other veggies, which are both high in vitamin C. I didn't clarify that with them, though, so it could have been because of the calcium content, or something else entirely. Sorry for not being clearer!

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:17 am

I give the Oxbow Vitamin C but only half a tablet daily. I also feed Oxbow pellets which contain vitamin C and she gets some bell pepper each day. Vitamin C is a water-soluble vitamin so if more is eaten that needed, it just passes through the system. But I figure there’s no reason to feed way more than she needs.

WICharlie

Post   » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:17 pm

If your pigs are healthy and eat Oxbow pellets and get a variety of other vegetables, I don't think you have to worry about supplementing their Vitamin C. I only gave supplemental Vitamin C to pigs that came into the rescue malnourished and/or pregnant. Once they were a good weight and healthy, I did not continue it.