Does this veggies schedule look ok?

Robin_

Post   » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:36 pm

Thank you so much for the info everyone. It seems I've been quite misinformed. Happy to hear it's not as labor-intensive as it sounded.

I'll stick to a nice daily base of various lettuces and bell pepper and throw in whatever's in season/in the fridge.

As for the grazing thing I'd love to do that but I believe my dad used weed-killer on the yard :P I'll convince him out of it some day. How long does it take for that kind of stuff to wear off before it's deemed safe to eat?

Thank you all so much for the guidance, my future piggies and I will appreciate this a bunch!

Robin_

Post   » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:55 pm

Updated veggie list (as it says, I'm in need of more alternative daily veggie ideas!):

Now, it'll kinda depend on what I have at the time, but it'll just sorta act as a quick glance "just got this at the store how often can I feed it" kind of deal.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:49 pm

For another lettuce, you can feed Boston/bibb lettuce, too. Mine like it; I just mix it with the green leaf and/or red lead. I'd eliminate the spinach.

Kale and broccoli, while "safe" are gassy and many of us avoid them altogether.

With celery -- do make sure you remove the strings.

Sounds like you're on the right track!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:26 pm

I added a comment in your post, Renonvsparky.

Carrots are not high in sugar! I don't know who came up with this wrong idea but it is misleading. The chart page, which shows at a glance that the high sugar foods are fruits, compares 10 calorie amounts of various fruits and vegs.
www.guinealynx.info/chart.html

I did a quick google search which (in this case) turned up the nutritional info for carrots on the side and a top comment mentioning that you'd have to eat three pounds of carrots to get the same amount of sugar you would get in a 20 oz. bottle of Coca-Cola.

Nutrition Facts
Carrots
Amount Per 1 medium (61 g)
  • Calories 25
    % Daily Value*
    Total Fat 0.1 g 0%
    Saturated fat 0 g 0%
    Polyunsaturated fat 0.1 g
    Monounsaturated fat 0 g
    Trans fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
    Sodium 42 mg 1%
    Potassium 195 mg 5%
    Total Carbohydrate 6 g 2%
    Dietary fiber 1.7 g 6%
    Sugar 2.9 g
    Protein 0.6 g 1%
    Vitamin A 203% Vitamin C 6%
    Calcium 2% Iron 1%
    Vitamin D 0% Vitamin B-6 5%
    Cobalamin 0% Magnesium 1%
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

Robin_

Post   » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:13 pm

Lynx-- Wow, never really looked into that but in hindsight it really is crazy how much people say that. Bell pepper is only a tenth of a gram less than your average baby carrot and no one goes on bashing it. Same goes for celery, tomatoes, squash...dang, that really is one heck of a myth.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:32 am

The site I looked at said 3 grams per cup (128 grams of carrots in total) That seemed a little bit high, while not dangerous to the average piggie, it makes me uncomfortable. Call me paranoid after the run-in my Scruffy had with getting too much sugar in his diet. I guess what I was getting at is that there are better daily sources of vitamin C, so I give carrots no more than once or twice a week. At 200%+ of daily vitamin A recommended allowance for humans, I believe that is plenty enough for them.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/270191.php

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:57 am

I think carrots got a bad reputation with the Atkins diet craze. They were on the high-carb list of veggies to avoid, as were most root veggies. So people jumped to the conclusion that carrots had a lot of sugar.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:59 am

I think the problem with carrots and sugar is that they're so dense, it doesn't take a very large chunk to ingest a fair amount of sugar. Bell peppers also have sugar, but they're essentially crunchy water, so it takes a lot more pepper to get the same amount of sugar that you would in a much smaller piece of carrot.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:13 am

Renonvsparky, your link to carrot info is great! I need to eat more of them.

Carrots are a dense food with many more calories per gram. Green vegs, on the other hand, have more water so it seems (when measuring by volume) carrots might have more sugar. But it is an unfair comparison.

This is why I created a chart to give true comparisons by 10 calorie amounts. This way, the effect of the water weight is neutralized. I did this long ago.

The type of sugar in a carrot is a complex healthier sugar and diabetics can eat them just fine (in reasonable amounts). Not like refined sugars.

Robin_

Post   » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:05 am

What are your thoughts on escarole (how often can it be fed)?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:02 pm

I seem to remember that escarole or endive is higher in calcium. You might double-check the nutritional values on it.

Robin_

Post   » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:01 pm

Just checked-- it's at about 30mg compared to lettuce's ~20mg. I'll keep it to 2-3 times a week. Thank you!