How do you honor your deceased pigs?

Jeff3pigs

Post   » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:22 pm

In the last 11 months two of my girls passed away, one from cancer (last September), and the other passed away during a dental procedure (this April).

I have a special place for their graves in my flower garden. I put some of their ashes under the graves, while the rest are in their urns.

I’m not sure how to upload pictures on here, otherwise I’d share.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:50 pm

You need to find a host, upload them there, and then link to them here. Imgur and flicker are two photo hosting sites people sometimes use.

I think remembering past pets is good for our hearts. I take pictures - sometimes put them in frames on walls.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:04 am

When we lost Jessie we bought a garden bench. Then when we lose a fur angel we buy 2 memorial plaques. One to go inside https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Personalise ... 2749.l2649
Then another with their picture and connect it to the bench https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Custom-Made ... 2749.l2649 then we often sit on the memorial bench as we call it and think of them.

We also buy a plant and make a memory garden. We also do pictures and every year we light a candle with their name on it and we pray for them. I guess you could say we go over board!

You can also get grave markers https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pet-Memoria ... SwHDdcWFT2.

Or you could get some timber and make a cross and put on their grave. But we remember our babies with plaques, pictures, candles and pictures.

As long as you keep them in your heart then you are remembering and honouring them! And they'll always be with you! I am truly sorry for your losses. Reunited again. Never to be parted. RIP wee ones.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:09 pm

It had been a long time since I've had guinea pigs when I got Mr Bubbles and the herd I have now. The last one we had died in 1984 after I left home for the military. I am not prepared for any of my guinea pigs to pass, even though I know it's inevitable. I knew about their relatively short life span (when compared to other pets like dogs and cats), but I don't concern myself with that and I do everything I can to enjoy them while I can.

That said, I plan on getting more piggies when the ones I have now pass. It is my earnest belief that I will be honoring them by providing more piggies with a loving home. I also know what goes into giving guinea pigs proper care and I think it will take enough of my time and they will provide me with enough precious memories to help ease the pain of losing these guys. At least that's my hope. Each little pig is unique and can't be replaced, but other unique pigs can fill the emptiness.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:47 pm

"That said, I plan on getting more piggies when the ones I have now pass. It is my earnest belief that I will be honoring them by providing more piggies with a loving home."

That's how we operate. And especially if the remaining pig is alone, we want to get it a new friend fast.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:00 pm

With the passing of Scruffy on Sunday, I'm finding it hard to stay away from the pet stores and the Humane society. I did look on the humane society website and they do have a pair of albino American Satin males, but I'm not in a position to get another guinea pig until after the new year and my holiday travel is over. I'll be on the lookout for that special little guy once the holidays are over, but in the meantime, I have found great comfort from my remaining 3 guinea pigs.

I have been tossing around the idea of making a pet hall of fame plaque with the names and dates of all the pets we've lost over the years. Right off the top of my head, I can think of 3 cats, two dogs, 2 tarantulas, a piranha, a hamster and Scruffy in the 33 years I've been with my wife. I have pictures of some and I can remember when we lost each one. I only have the ashes of two; our dog, Missy who we helped deliver and had for nearly 15 years and Scruffy's.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:50 pm

After one of our dogs passed a couple years ago I gathered pictures and memorabilia and planned to get a scrapbook done just for the dogs. Then we inherited a cat and I adopted a piggy, so I guess the project has expanded to furry family.

The hardest part is getting a plan in place and starting. I thought I’d have time this winter. Now so many photos are digital, I don’t know if I should scan the old ones in or get prints of the new pictures.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:05 pm

I've had to go as far as to take a photo of the photo with my phone to get digital copies of old pictures. Whatever works, I guess. I posted about the albino rescue piggies in another thread. Basically, they had to be separated because of fighting and one of them got adopted.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:35 am

Besides the tons of pictures and vids, I have a special way of honoring them. I turn each special memory into a comic. I have been drawing them for 15 years now. And people can come and read them for free on Facebook weekly, on my Cavy Comic page.

M1dn1ght

Post   » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:32 pm

We buried Midnight in the rose garden (deep - we have lots of wildlife and didn't want them to dig him up) and placed a large stone atop his grave. It doesn't have any engravings or anything on it, as we are somewhat private with our grief, but I think about him every time I see it. We like to think his sweet soul is nourishing our lovely roses.

lisam

Post   » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:49 pm

One of my adopters lost a guinea pig last year or so, and to commemorate him, they bought a small plaque to put on one of our cages here at the rescue.