Sam and Dean

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:11 am

Ha! Never happen as long as they lack thumbs.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:30 pm

Nail trim today went well. Sammy is now my fat piggie. He's sitting at 3.06 lbs while Dean is holding steady at about 2 and a half pounds. Sammy is clearly getting more of the veggies than Dean. I'm going to have to figure out a way to balance it out. That means separate feeding. Other than that all is well with both of them.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:49 am

Poor little Sammy! I took him out of the cage when I put the food in there so Dean could get a head start on it. I made the mistake of doing it right before putting the pan in the cage. He knows what that pan is and what is in it when I bring it. I took him out of the room held him for about 10 minutes while Dean ate. He knew the whole time that food was in his cage and that he wasn't getting any because he had his bottom lip jutted out as he sniffed the air and made that sad little squeak; almost like he was crying. It was sad and funny at the same time.

Tonight, I decided to take him out before even preparing the veggies so he wouldn't know that Dean was getting his head start. That worked out much better. At least he didn't seem to be aware that the veggies had been served. He sat in my lap and was a lot calmer. After Dean got his head start, I put him in his cage and he ate. Now let's hope he doesn't figure out this new strategy. He is a smart piggie though, so he probably will. I might have to serve the veggies at random times.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:44 am

Maybe when you hold him give him a special veg treat?

Renonvsparky

Post   » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:34 pm

I thought of that, but I need him to eat a little less and especially less than Dean. At least until he loses an ounce or two. He's only .06 oz over 3 lbs and that's not terrible but it's not optimal either. If I could get him down to just under 3 lbs, I be happy with that. As long as he doesn't gain too much more weight, it should be fine.

They are more susceptible to health problems when they get overweight. Plus it gets harder for them to clean themselves. I had that problem with Mr Bubbles when he got up over 3.40 lbs. Don't want to have that happen with Sammy.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:34 pm

I thought of that, but I need him to eat a little less and especially less than Dean. At least until he loses an ounce or two. He's only .06 oz over 3 lbs and that's not terrible but it's not optimal either. If I could get him down to just under 3 lbs, I be happy with that. As long as he doesn't gain too much more weight, it should be fine.

They are more susceptible to health problems when they get overweight. Plus it gets harder for them to clean themselves. I had that problem with Mr Bubbles when he got up over 3.40 lbs. Don't want to have that happen with Sammy.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:09 pm

Sammy and Dean are getting along famously. I had to take out the little platform because it's too much of a catch-all for urine and droppings. It is pretty gross when you go to pick them up and they're wet and nasty on their undersides. Plus I can't imagine that's very healthy for them. They have a tunnel to hide in, but they argue over it with Dean usually winning.

The solution is to make another fleece forest. I did theirs in a triangle shape so it can go in the corner of their cage. I've nearly finished it with the only thing left to do is cut the fleece strips and tie them in. I expect that Sammy will claim it since the corner it's going in is where he usually lays. That should provide him with a comfortable and secure place to hide if he gets scared.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:00 am

Yes, it is nasty having them be wet and dirty. Open sided stools are what I used to do, which allow for movement to a different new area or easy change out of pads underneath.
www.guinealynx.info/my-pigs.html

Renonvsparky

Post   » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:52 pm

I never let them go for more than 3 days between cage changes, so they don't spend too much time in dirty cages. They have one or two spots where they do most of their business. The platform was one of them. The difference is that on the platform, there was nothing between them and the mess. At least on the fleece, their urine goes into the bedding pellets underneath and they stay dry. The triangular fleece forest replaces the space under the platform where Sammy liked to lay for cover.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:47 pm

What a contented looking guinea pig!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:51 am

The humans got these big orange things today. They cut the tops off of them, pulled out a bunch of seeds and slimy stuff. Then they cut funny faces in them, put these lights inside them and put them outside. They sure smell good. We could smell them through the whole place and boy did we let them know.

Our favorite human brought us little pieces of it and we devoured them. They taste as good as they smell! We wanted more, but the human says we can only have a small amount and can't eat that too often. Our brothers, Mr Bubbles and Scruffy liked it too. Brother Scruffy is being a picky eater right now because he's a little under the weather, but he ate the orange stuff right up. He lives in the cage up above ours. We sure like Scruffy and hope he gets better soon.

The human comes to check on him a lot and he pets us too. We like him and as long as he lets us sniff his hand, we let him pick us up and pet us. As long as he keeps bringing us treats like he did tonight, we'll get along just fine. So far he has. Bye for now!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:00 am

I think we need some pics of the big orange things!

They sound scary ;-)