Spencer's Abscess

Lisa12

Post   » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:16 pm

Why not change antibiotic if it doesnt work?

We changed 5 ABs in 3-4months for Irie until we got to Gentamicyn that worked(culture was done, but all should work, its complicated you can read in our topic)
Thats as far as I know..I would change AB, about surgery Idont know...

RyanMarie24

Post   » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:26 pm

We did try other antibiotics. Unfortunately Spencer is prone to bloat and cannot tolerate some of the ABs

Lisa12

Post   » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:33 pm

Yeah..Irie is, too-very..Now he is on nebulizer few weeks off/few on, but thats for URIs.

What about under skin injections?

RyanMarie24

Post   » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:46 pm

The infection is now so deep into the bone. The bone is deteroriating. If they took me seriously the times I brought him back with concerns this may have been avoided. I was told that drainiage is not infection..it's normal healing.

If there were any options believe me I'd pay anything for them. He is happy and munching away on hay. I can't take that away from him. He'll let me know when he's ready.
Last edited by RyanMarie24 on Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lisa12

Post   » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:51 pm

Oh:(.
My friends dog was infected with Pseudomonas aeruginosa that ate his bone (!). Vet saw on x-ray..no bone.and he recovered, he got ciprofloxacin i think and something on c as well, recovery was 8-weeks.i would try under skin..but thats all i am gonna write..i am not vet

RyanMarie24

Post   » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:22 pm

You can't compare treatment for a dog to treatment for a pig. They have completely different systems...treatments...etc.

Lisa12

Post   » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:15 pm

I know that very well..it was just an information. First vet suggested to put him to sleep than she went to another and he cured the dog, btw. That was the point.

Irie is my pig and his vet was giving him injections, thats why i wrote that, just to makes things clear. Best of luck, anyway..

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:06 pm

I am so very sad to hear this news, RyanMarie24. I know how diligently you have worked to help Spencer heal.

RyanMarie24

Post   » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:18 am

Me too! His regular vet is going to look at the xrays for a second opinion. Spencer is currently popcorning, running zoomies and giving kisses. He's not ready to give up yet...He's enjoying life. Once his quality of life declines, I won't let him suffer. Until then he's gonna get a ton of love and all the veggies he wants 😭❤

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:44 am

I am so sorry, RyanMarie24. You have done everything you possibly could to be proactive and get the right treatment. Vets can miss things, but I'm shocked that this would have spread so quickly. I would definitely get that second opinion.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:46 pm

RyanMarie24 I’m so sorry you are going through this! You have been doing everything you can and I wish you and Spencer the best.

RyanMarie24

Post   » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:53 am

Thank you all! It's been a few days of crying and snuggling Spencer while I accepted the situation. Spencer lost his bottom incisor due to this, but can still eat veggies and has gained 40g! Running, eating, popcorning..his poop looks better than ever. His regular vet said she's never seen this happen once diagnosed...so i am praying for a miracle!

In other news, Spencer became a big brother again. His new brother is Elliot Spencer. Was not planning on this, but i also wanted to be prepared as I know Benson would be depressed when Spencer leaves us. A 4 week old orange abby. I got him from our local rescue. Benson and Spencer love their new brother and all are getting along amazingly. I would attach pictures, but i am not that savvy on that lol.