Anyone grow grass indoors for their pigs?

CuteGuineas

Post   » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:40 pm

Hi everyone, a few related questions:

1) Is that "pet grass" that they sell at pet stores okay for guinea pigs?

2) Alternatively, I was thinking of buying grass seeds to grow indoors for them during the winter as a fun little treat. Is there any type that they shouldn't have? I assume barley and wheat grass are ok to give them?

3) Am I correct that all types of hay are good for pigs (other than alfalfa, which I know is good only for pregnant and nursing sows and young pigs under 6 months)?

I was giving mine Timothy hay all along but recently started giving them orchard grass or the orchard/timothy blend from Oxbow. They LOVE the orchard grass and get much more excited about it than they ever did for Timothy hay.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:21 am

Read about hay here:
www.guinealynx.info/hay.html

Find out if the pet grass is wheat grass (probably).

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:31 am

I think it is. I used to buy that stuff and grow it, but it's only good for a couple of 'harvests' and ended up being too pricey. I did buy full flats of wheat grass a few years ago from the local organic store, which was cheaper, but the boys really weren't all that impressed with it. I'm also thinking I had to be very careful about mold with it-?

You can provide good hay variety by offering good quality 1st and 2nd cutting timothy, orchard grass, oat hay and bluegrass. The boys also like the so-called 'botanical' hay that Oxbow offers.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:53 am

I remember trying to plant timothy in my garden. Did not do well!

It takes a while for hay grasses to mature into perennial plants.

Waddles
Party Poop-er

Post   » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:11 pm

I used to grow wheatgrass for my pigs since they enjoyed it and as an occasional treat. It is fun to do and easy enough to grow but does tend to get moldy easily so be careful not to over water. I got my organic seeds from the bulk bins at Whole Foods.

If you do a search, previous GL members (Momo? others?) have posted directions on how to grow them.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:28 am

Thanks for bringing this up! I could totally grow grass indoors. I'll have to give it a try.

M1dn1ght

Post   » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:09 pm

I had my husband build a raised bed where I actually grow wheat grass outdoors for my boys. I planted some mint in there too, so when we go outside, I just put them in the box and let them munch. In the morning, I go out and trim a handful for them to eat. It grows back quickly and excess water evaporates, so I don't have to worry about mold.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:33 pm

Growing it outside is a great idea. More convenient and I think better air circulation so less molding.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:12 am

We don't have a problem with mold here. Dry climate and the heat furnace keep the air relatively dry in the winter. If anything, it's hard to grow because of a lack of moisture.

CuteGuineas

Post   » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:47 pm

Same here; we generally have a foot or two of snow on the ground in the winter (so definitely not possible to grow it outdoors then), and the furnace dries out the indoor air, though I will keep an eye out for mold. I might try it as a fun little project when winter comes; the pigs would enjoy some fresh grass.

rjespicer

Post   » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:53 pm

I would love to grow it but unfortunately we dont have the space to do so. Our piggies love wheatgrass though, so much so we call it Wheekgrasss.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:14 pm

Wheekgrass. Love it.