Jan's Toothy Smile medical thread

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:06 pm

Why do you say Flagyl is an anti-inflammatory? It's an antibiotic active against bacteria and protozoa. And Meloxicam is only an anti-inflammatory -- no other activity in it.

Getting .3 mls twice a day tells you nothing unless you know the strength of the medicine.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:05 pm

The vet told me Flagyl was a anti-inflammatory. The Meloxicam is cat strength 0.5 in a 10ml tube. I always thought Flagyl was a A/B but I am trying not to argue with vets who are like prickly pears. Thanks for the reply bpatters.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:14 pm

I think maybe the vet meant that, in treating the underlying bacteria or parasites, Flagyl can help reduce inflammation in the intestines. In and of itself, though, Flagyl isn't an anti-inflammatory drug.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:41 am

Took Joy to the vet today, she has problems with her tummy, wind pressing on her diaphragm causing her to breathe fast.
In the middle of her spine some how she has injured it or bruised it as she squeaked every time it was touched.

She has another lung infection, where does she get it? Since the Droxy she has had runny poops and stinky ones. We have tried Flagyl, Protexin and poop soup. Nothing has worked.

The vet held Joy and had her hind legs below the examination table in the hopes she would lift her feet up but she didn't.
To anger me he gave her another Convenia injection and also gave me some drops to give orally. Was wondering if these are safe for guinea pigs? They are 1XTramal. I am to give her 2 drops orally.

We were told to stop the Meloxicam. Not to happy about that as we can see she is in pain. We feel bad piggy parents! We were so busy worrying about her running poops and legs problem we didn't even know she had a lung infection(her left lung).
I am sure you will think badly of me not noticing the infection. But there were NO symptoms. Any suggestions would be greatly received.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:15 pm

According to this source, that particular antibiotic is not considered safe for small herbivores:
https://www.vetfolio.com/learn/article/ ... -or-deadly

This is the GL list of safe antibiotics:
https://www.guinealynx.info/antibiotics.html

You should always ask the vet, or try to research the drug yourself, BEFORE the vet administers it if you haven't heard of it and/or if it's not on the GL safe medications list--especially if this is not an exotics veterinarian who knows the difference between safe vs. unsafe medications in rodents. By the time the vet gives an injection, it may be too late. This particular source states that it has been used with rabbits with no ill effects, but that doesn't mean it can't or won't be harmful to a guinea pig, and I certainly would NOT use the oral drops. Other sources agree that it should NOT be used in other animals:
https://theodora.com/drugs/eu/convenia_veterinary.html

Why did the vet want to use this drug in the first place? It sounds like it's typically used for skin infections in cats and dogs:
Cefovecin is an antibiotic of the cephalosporin class, licensed for the treatment of skin infections in cats and dogs. It is marketed by Zoetis under the trade name Convenia. It is used to treat skin infections caused by Pasturella multocida in cats, and Staphylococcus intermedius and Streptococcus canis in dogs.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:33 am

This Joy's second injection on Convenia. The first did no harm and benefited Joy we hope this one will do the same. As to the drops Tailshan said,
Tramal appears to be tramadol, a relatively mild narcotic painkiller. You can use it together with Meloxicam, which is an anti-inflammatory painkiller, but tramadol generally does a better job of pain relief, so Meloxicam may not be necessary.
So I am unsure. So far Joy appears like herself. Thanks for the reply Sef1268. I will read links.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:29 am

I don't understand. Why is Convenia being used? You never responded earlier about its use. What benefit did you or the vet supposedly see with the first injection? Is Joy still on Flagyl? What about the lung infection? It's very hard to follow all of the various meds and ailments.

You didn't state that the drops were Tramadol; I assumed you meant that the vet gave you Convenia drops to administer at home. Tramadol is a mild narcotic that can slow down the gut. I don't understand what it's being used for, or why it would be a better choice for pain than Meloxicam. Information on safe analgesics can be found here:
https://www.guinealynx.info/analgesics.html

As a side note, I don't see any way that a guinea pig could get tangled up in bedding or hay and become paralyzed.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:27 pm

As a side note, I don't see any way that a guinea pig could get tangled up in bedding or hay and become paralyzed.
`

We lost our rabbit when his legs got tangled in the hay. This was only last month.They're bedding is vet/drybed if she got her claw caught in it this might have hurt her legs. Don't forget Joy is nearly 7. It maybe arthritis?
Why is Convenia being used?
This is being used for lung infection. First injection was due to fluid in the lungs and it worked like a treat.
You didn't state that the drops were Tramadol
The bottle has written on it TRAMAL I am guessing vet did a typo. I think it is for legs. Like her sister Jan Joy gets alot of wind in her stomach.
Is Joy still on Flagyl?
Yes for her mushy poops. I may stop this tomorrow and see how she goes. Seeing as poops are now normal.

Since the Convenia injection and the Tramal drops, Joy's poops are normal and she is eating. And she's not fluffed up. She has even gained weight.

I am sorry for any confusion. Thanks for the reply Self1268.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:24 am

Okay Joy is on Zantac Syrup 0.2mls twice a day, Flagyl 0.4mls twice a day, Tramol 2 drops twice a day, Protexin twice a day and poop soup also twice a day. Around 4 weeks ago she was on Doxy twice a day for 5 days for lung infection.

All went well until around 10 days later she developed mushy poops. Now this is why she was put onto the Flaygl and poop soup. After 4 days her poops became normal. After 3 more days we took her off it but kept up the poop soup and Protexin. Within 2 days her mushy poops were back, so back onto the Flagyl. After 4 days poops back to normal. So 3 more days we took her off and back onto Flagyl. But we fear her body has become use to the Flagyl as it is not working.

The vet wants to put her onto yogurt but we are not keen on this. She is going to the vet again Friday. She is eating and is behaving normal. Is there anyother medication she can be on to help with her poops? We have her on Timothy and Meadow hay and grass and very little veggies.

Thanking any replies in advance. Sef1268 you mentioned I should ask vet what injections are for before they give it. We do not have this luxury. The vets who treated Jan we have reported to the veterinary board. As our normal vet whom we don't see any more said Jan was normal but when we saw another vet same day Jan's temp and heart rate were high. She had head tilt, I mentioned head tilt was told all normal.

Then another vet filled syringes with this brown fluid similar to Morphine that would make Jan sleep up to or more than 8 hours which we did not use as we know she had to eat and drink to keep tummy moving. So vets are wary about me, they are banding together and they know they know zilch about guinea pigs and are fearful I will report them.

I don't expect anything to happen to said vets as guinea pigs and other small pets don't matter here. Just cats and dogs and farm animals. Not even birds matter here. Thanks for reading! Thanks for the advice Sef1268!!!!!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:17 am

It looks like Zantac syrup contains Sorbitol, which is notorious for causing gastric upset and diarrhea in humans. I imagine the same would be true (or even more so) when it comes to guinea pigs. It alone may not be causing the diarrhea, but could be contributing to it.

Why do you say that the Flagyl is no longer helping, since you describe that you have seen improvement each time it has been used?

Do NOT use yogurt:
https://www.guinealynx.info/probiotics.html

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:29 pm

This time around the Flagyl is not firming up her poops like before. I think like humans they get use to medication and hence they no longer work. We have a law getting passed through parliament that getting antibiotics for humans will be harder to obtain as they believe humans are abusing them.

Also all the other times she wasn't on the Tramal, maybe this is the cause that the Flagyl doesn't work? It is the only thing that is different this time.

Jan and Joy were/are on Zantac as they both had/have bad tummy wind. If we stop the Zantac she stops eating and pooping with in 24 hours. Dr Vella a so called Cavy Savvy vet put Jan onto Zantac when he saw her tummy X-ray.

On a good note she has had 4 slices of banana and we have noticed her poops whilst still mushy are taking shape. It is early days but we have everything crossed.

Don't worry I will NOT use any yogurt or any other dairy products on Joy! I am sticking to Flagyl until I see the vet tomorrow, Protexin, poop soup and the banana.

Thanks for the reply and advice Sef1268! Much appreciated!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:13 pm

I wouldn't feed any fruit at all until the poops are back to normal, and would limit veggies. If you have fed fruits in the past, that may also be a contributor. Fruit is sugary and guinea pig guts aren't made to break down the carbs efficiently. It is rare that I feed any fruit at all, and I would absolutely avoid it with any pig having diarrhea or other gastric upset.

It might be wise to review Joy's diet to see what other foods should be reduced or eliminated to avoid stomach problems.