Pepino's Medical Thread, Starting with Mites

JaneDoe

Post   » Mon May 20, 2019 11:12 pm

Pepino is now five years old. Last December 14th (a Friday) I noticed he was spending more time in the Pigloo but I was a little under the weather, too. Next day he seemed a little better. When I came home around 11PM on the 16th I noticed his face looked a little swollen (hard to notice right away in an Abby.) Eight hours later, by the time the vet’s office opened, the swelling on his neck/face was huge. The vet operated around 1PM on the 17th. Pepino was put on Baytril and had to be syringe fed some of the time. I didn’t expect him to make it through New Year’s.

By January 3 he was much better but on March 16th he seemed lethargic and was eating less. I took him to the emergency vet who said the infection never went away. We started the same meds again and he improved but then April 18th (Holy Thursday) he was worse again and barely eating. The vet couldn’t see him until Easter Monday. I had to leave him there to board as I was going to see my mother in Florida—there was nothing I could do but hope for the best.

Easter Monday I called the vet from Florida and she said it wasn’t good. The infection had spread into his mouth and one of his teeth had fallen out. His gums were also horribly inflamed. One of the vet’s staff made sure he ate, including syringe feeding him. In addition to the same meds the vet recommended something called “Maxiguard” to flush his mouth with—it’s had good results with rabbits with irritation caused by malocclusion.

This morning I took him to in for a follow up and there was some improvement. He gained back a lot of the weight he had lost, the vet says the infection and inflammation are less and the tooth is growing back. I didn’t think they did.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue May 21, 2019 8:43 am

How frustrating, but glad to hear there has been at least some improvement. I'll have to make a note of that product to flush with. What do they think is wrong with his gums? Is this an infected/impacted molar? Which tooth fell out? -- incisor or further back?

JaneDoe

Post   » Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:27 am

Pepino is doing better. Since December he has been on antibiotics and anti-inflammatories and it will probably be a permanent thing for him.

This is something I want to warn everyone: Last week I called both refills into the vet and picked them up. I have been going there more than 16 years and had most prescriptions filled there. Since I had a little of the old ones left I didn't open up the new ones until two days ago. Instead of giving me the AB and anti-inflammatory the vet gave me two bottles of the anti-inflammatory in different containers. Since most of the containers there look a like and the type was very small i figured the smaller container was the AB and gave him a dose from each bottle. It turns out I gave him THREE TIMES the prescribed amount of the anti-inflammatory and none of the AB.

Fortunately the vet says he should be fine (she saw him right after the triple dose, neither of us realizing what had happened.) I just want everyone to be careful--make sure you are given the right prescriptions and you understand the dosage! I don't think this has ever happened to me before.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:41 am

Good grief! Yes, as the old adage goes: "Trust, but verify."

JaneDoe

Post   » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:23 pm

Pepino was diagnosed with lymphoma.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:48 pm

Oh no, JaneDoe. :( I am just so sorry. What did the vet say?

JaneDoe

Post   » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:25 pm

Thank you, Sef.

That there is usually little that can be done, however, she will look into EVERYTHING.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:30 pm

Oh Jane, I'm sorry. I hope your vet can find something to extend his life as long as he's comfortable.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:56 am

I’m sorry to hear about Pepino’s diagnosis and hope your vet can help you provide comfort and quality in his life.

JaneDoe

Post   » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:42 am

Thank you, Bookfan.

It’s pretty incredible. The vet found the lump more than two weeks ago and the life expectancy for pigs with lymphoma is two to five weeks after diagnosis. I took Pepino to the vet yesterday and the vet said Pepino had gained weight since his last weigh-in and the post-surgical swelling had gone down. The lump in his neck had not come back and there were no new ones to be found anywhere.

Steroids are usually used as treatment for pigs with lymphoma but usually don’t have any major effect, also the vet is worried about other side effects. So for the time being we are keeping Pepino as happy and comfortable as possible with the pain meds we used for the post-abscess treatment and letting him eat as much as he wants of whatever he wants.

Our vet is continuing to research his condition as much as she can and also ask the advice of Dr. Scott Stahl, one of the area’s premiere exotic veterinarians, who is cutting back on his practice hours to pursue other interests.

JaneDoe

Post   » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:34 am

Thanks, ItsaZoo, sorry I missed you there.

You see we are being cautiously optimistic--the vet says this does not look like other lymphoma cases she's seen.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:22 am

That's interesting Jane. Fingers crossed he'll continue to do well.