Jan's Toothy Smile medical thread

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:34 pm

I wouldn't feed any fruit at all until the poops are back to normal
Joy got fruit on November 27th 2018 as comfort food when her sister Jan passed away. Again on December 24th as it was her 6th birthday and again on December 25th as a special treat!

When we stopped Zantac Syrup Joy went off food with in 24 hours and stopped pooping and had major wind problems. Swore unless directed would not take her off it again!

Jan Joy's sister had tummy problems with wind as well and was also on Zantac syrup as vets believe it is a genetic problem. Jan had X-ray on her tummy and it showed roughly tummy 25% and wind 75%. Vet said she would not make Christmas(less than 4 weeks). Jan lived for 2 years more.

As far as Joy goes with the banana it is day 2 and after a month of mushy poops her poops now have shape and some are normal texture. For now we will continue with the banana as it seems to be working. The big question is when to stop before she gets constipated.

Feeding guinea pigs with mushy poops bananas has always worked before on other pigs like Jessie, Petal and Zoe. We just kick ourselves we didn't think of it before!

Thanks for the reply Sef1268! As to Joy's diet she gets Timothy and Meadow or Oaten hay depending what we can get due to the drought. Oxbow adult pellets, spinach, baby spinach, silverbeet, oak lettuce and carrots and grass when we can get it. We are going to buy some more cat grass seeds and grow some more grass.

Off to vet in 4 hours will update again then. Thanking replies in advance!

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:41 pm

Has anyone's pigs ever got a CERENIA injection? Is it safe for pigs? Also NEOTOPIC H cream? this new vet jabs pigs then tells you what it was. I am NOT liking this damn vet but next vet is hours away and they are much worse!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:50 pm

Neotopic H is a lotion that has an antibiotic, an anti-inflammatory, and a steroid. It should be fine to use as long as the pig can't ingest it.

Cerenia is used to control vomiting due to motion sickness. It was developed for dogs, but can be used for cats. Since guinea pigs can't vomit, and since cerenia seems to have no other uses, I can't imagine why they'd give it to a guinea pig.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:55 am

Cerenia is used to control vomiting due to motion sickness. It was developed for dogs, but can be used for cats. Since guinea pigs can't vomit, and since Cerenia seems to have no other uses, I can't imagine why they'd give it to a guinea pig.
I found this on Google but totally agree with you! https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/thr ... ic.114228/
Thanks for the reply bpatters.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:19 am

I actually have some Cerenia tablets from a while back when our dog was sick. It controls vomiting not only for motion sickness but also for dogs getting chemo, or that have parvovirus or gastroenteritis. I don’t see anything about it being tested on animals other than dogs.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:47 pm

Around 6 weeks ago maybe more, Joy was put onto Doxy. No problems. Then around 2 weeks after her poops become mushy. Nothing I do seems to help. Doxy did clear infections on both pigs!

I have tried medication like Flagyl, vet has given injections like the one for travel sickness. I have tried cutting out vegetables but as Joy eats so little she can't afford to lose weight. I have also tried banana which I was told causes consitpation, to begin with it worked 50% but then nothing but mush.

She is on Protexin twice a day, poop soup also twice a day, then tramal twice a day. Last one for pain with the wind in her tummy. Took her off it once and she stopped eating. May go down to one drop twice a day and see how we go.
I have cut out rockmelon(her favourite), cucumber, cos lettuce and tomatoes. I am in process of growing some cat grass.
Have not seen her eat hay or her poops-the rate they smell I wouldn't eat them either!!! Now as to her diet she is getting carrot, spinach, baby spinach, silverbeet, oak lettuce, Oxbow pellets which she occasionally eats, Timothy hay, and Meadow or Oaten hay depending on what we can get due to the drought.

Now some suggested Vitamin C supplement but when I give her some she stops eating-Vitamin C I got from health food shop. Jessie was on it for last 2 years of her life and she loved it. I would add a pinch once a day.

So now out of desperation I am now going to try Metomide tablets 1/10 of a tablet twice a day. I don't really want to take her to the vet again as I am scared as to what else they are going to inject her with. And last time I took Joy to the vet they were talking about taking blood whilst she was awake. NONE will listen when I tell them you don't need 2 vials to have blood tested as that is almost half a guinea pigs blood supply. I have suggested many times to cut the quick in a claw or two but they insist this is not enough. To make it worse pathologist when testing a guinea pig's blood have no idea what they are looking for!

Now don't say go to exotic vets or piggy savvy vet as (a) there are none and (b) they too if you can find one want to take blood too. There is a Dr Vella listed on GL's recommend vets here in Australia and he too takes blood from guinea pigs.

Now Jaffa was also on Doxy and she developed mushy poops too, this for her comes and goes. Touching wood at present we have her under control.

We have tried removing lettuce or spinach and silverbeet from diet but what ever we remove she stops eating.
It is alright if you have no suggestions as I am fresh out of ideas as well! With the Doxy vet said point 0.5mls twice a day for both Jaffa and Joy(both had lung infections) BUT with Jaffa I gave her point 0.4mls twice a day and Joy point 0.3mls twice a day as in both cases point 0.5mls twice a day seemed a lot to me!

Any suggestions much appreciated! I have also sent links and printed up the pages from GL concerning mushy poops and drugs that can help firm them up, taken them with me but as usual they just ignore me. Thanking any replies in advance.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:23 pm

I forgot to mention in way of diet have tried capsicum-red, green and yellow, swede, parsnip, turnip, parsley, coriander, watercress, broccoli(not too much), rocket to name some and the little minxes won't eat any of it!

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:23 am

If a guinea pig is put onto heart medication how soon before we see an improvement? What antibiotic is best for crackling in the lungs? We want to try Tribressen but vet wants to try Doxy again.

Doxy messed up her tummy so bad we are still trying to get her tummy right again. Jessie was on Tribressan for years with no affect. BUT Jaffa got the mushy poops and stopped eating after 3 days of Tribressan. Baytril is out as all piggies we have tried on it have stopped eating after being on it in a few days.

Please can someone answer my questions. I post to get help! Thanking anyone who answers in advance.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:12 am

I think bpatters or Talishan may have already answered your question about heart meds and how long before you might expect to see some improvement; you might look back through this thread and see. I imagine it varies greatly by patient, depending on the severity of the heart condition. I recall bpatters stating that most heart patients are on more than one medication (such as a diuretic), and it can take time to fine-tune the dosages to reach an effective combination.

I don't really have a suggestion on the antibiotic. If the vet thinks there is a heart condition that is causing fluid build-up in the lungs, I'm not sure what an antibiotic can be expected to do.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:16 am

I don't really have a suggestion on the antibiotic. If the vet thinks there is a heart condition that is causing fluid build-up in the lungs, I'm not sure what an antibiotic can be expected to do.
The vet is not sure if problem is the heart or Pneumonia in the lungs. So they are covering both bases. She wanted Joy back onto Doxy but that messed up her tummy so much last time we don't want to use it again!

Mind you when on the Doxy for 5 days twice a day the fluid in lungs cleared up. The vet does not wish to mess with dosage of heart meds which is 1ml of Benazepril once a day HCL 2MG/ML and 0.8mls of FLUSAPEX DROPS 10MG/ML. Joy weighs 780grams-820grams. She has been on them for 3 weeks and there has been no change in her breathing or fluid in her chest.

Thanks for the reply sef1268, will go through this thread tomorrow as nearly midnight here, I want to hand feed Joy and crawl into bed!

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:38 am

Joy has been on Tribressen for 5 days she went to the vet today to see if fluid in abdomen and crackling in lungs had cleared up. Well crackling in lungs has gone but fluid remains.

So for 5 days she will be on Doxy, even if it messes her tummy around. She is also continuing the heart medication. it will depend how she goes as to whether she goes back to the vet. Keep you posted.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:55 am

Forgot to add if fluid doesn't go away vet talking about sticking a needle in her abdomen and getting some fluid and having it tested. Is this safe for a guinea pig? Thanks again.