Misc posts on topical issues

GPIG

Post   » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:53 pm

The Pentagon is a brick shithouse and then some. I was surprised the amount of damage done. I'm also not sure why surface to air ordnance didn't obliterate the plane when it was obvious it was being used as a missile. They have multiple countermeasures and they don't have half top worry about orders, they are in place.

Just look up Cheney on YouTube speaking about shooting down civilians, he looks like that would be the high point of his career. He is a F'ed up human.

Why when we had Bi Laden trapped less than a year after did we allow him to escape? Because the Northern Alliance wanted him questioned before execution and that would have been bad. As I write this post we did let him escape

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:49 pm

That, with regard to the Pentagon. I have also wondered why there was so much secrecy surrounding the surveillance tapes, at least initially (I think some of the photos and videotapes have since been released?). Lucky coincidence, too, that it damaged the side of the Pentagon that was undergoing some sort of construction at the time, I believe?

GPIG

Post   » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:50 pm

I never thought of that Sef, but yes, yet another coincidence in a long line of them

We have a VA hospital near where we live and I go there once and a while to hit an AA meeting or something just to keep some connection with the VA. Fortunately, I don't have to rely on medical needs there. I was at the hospital today to tow a car for a vet. It is a huge complex called Lyons VA Hospital, but it also has apartment buildings that serve as half way houses for some to acclimate back to living on own. I've talked to some of the guys on previous occasions before doing the same types of tows.

We messed up a lot of heads with war, not just the last ones, all of them. However, I'm only familiar with the last ones and I want to cry for these guys. In fact, I usually do when pulling away. I usually drive over to the smoking area first (not suppose to have one but how are they going to be told they can't smoke?) They come out to meet me and seem perfectly normal - Talkative, polite, happy to see someone from outside and when I tell them I was with the 3rd Heard - 3rd Battalion Marines. They seem to change a bit, not in a bad way but they become more serious and speak about their problems openly, They get anxious and ask many questions about living on their own and what's it like.

I don't have much to tell them I don't know what to say except I just came home, I developed and had most of my troubles out of country. They seem to be asking me if they will ever be able to get back. I don't want to lie, they deserve more than that but I just don't know what to say, many don't look like they will, I don't say that though. Their nerves seem absolutely shattered.

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:08 pm

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:07 pm

That is so tragic. Will this ever stop???

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:18 pm

Not under Trump, it won't.

GPIG

Post   » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:46 am

I want to know where our gold is, where the Nazi gold, art, and treasures like the Amber room are located. There should be a national strike until we are shown where OUR gold is. It is being controlled by some small group and they should be strung up

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:57 am

What? You mean it's not all safely tucked away at Ft. Knox?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:55 am

In my dreams trump would find it and horrible things would happen like to the Nazis in Indiana Jones.

GPIG

Post   » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:39 pm

To be more clear now - War was in the air, it was palatable. One could hear the drums of war and there would be no stopping it, one thing old soldiers know is when war is inevitable.

No letters, no nothing. When men make decisions to go to war, they go to war. All the fake diplomacy, different groups carrying messages, blah, blah blah, they mean nothing.

One day The Kurds are going to take revenge on us and it would be difficult to blame them. Further to that from their extraordinary amount of experience one could easily be of the opinion they are some of the best soldiers int he world. Lethal.

This has the potential to be extremely bad, NATO and Turkey - Trump's and idiot but he did have the wherewithal to stop the sale of F35s to Turkey. Call him what you want but I am grateful, my daughter won't have to hear some day in the future a formation of them are 100 miles out and heading her way.

"Just when I think I'm out they pull me back in" - Michael Corleone GF III, just kidding. The wife wasn't happy when she heard this today. She wanted to know how long before I get a call from Mr Smith. Told her I won't, they go by Mr Jones these days, ha ha Nope not me I'm done.

GPIG

Post   » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:36 am

I'm so disappointed with the failure of educated people to learn from past mistakes and worse continue to make the same mistakes. This thing in Northern Syria is really bad bad bad. I wasn't there for a picnic. Anyone paying the slightest attention knew this was going to happen, or something very similar.

The world needs to support the Kurds. They aren't angels, but they sure as hell aren't Taliban types or Daesh types. They are hard people and have had to learn to live in war lord type environments. We think thats bad out of pocket but they have no other options

As for war lords they aren't all bad either. Many many years ago I was running and gunning and just about caught when I was chased into a village. The village weren't friends but they have honor and after they decided to not cut my head off and because I was chased they into their home they considered it their honor/duty to protect me, saved me. It's complicated.

They guys with boat shoes and dockers just don't understand how it all works

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:09 pm

I was hoping you'd post on this subject. It's insight we get nowhere else.

"Anyone paying the slightest attention knew this was going to happen, or something very similar."

So you don't see this as just an impulsive whim of Trump's based on his own financial & other personal interests? He didn't even discuss it with the Pentagon, did he? From what I read, he just rolled over for Erdogan during a phone call.

"guys with boat shoes and dockers" ha ha

GPIG

Post   » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:38 pm

He's a moron for sure and about the worst person we could have during a crisis situation. I knew that, again, I had my reasons but to the point, this was happening Trump or no Trump the Kurds are determined to choose and make their own destiny and other actors are just as determined to stop them. The Kurds are becoming too powerful in the region.

Remember, they are a people without a land, so they lack final power. They were/are obtaining land as a base for a nation. We should be supporting them every way we can. Trump isn't the only moron to turn his back on the Kurds. Bush sr and jr did same and Obama did what he always did. He took 8 years to hem and haw about what would make everyone happy.

This could be a runaway train. The Kurds have had enough. They've been gassed more than once, betrayed numerous times and it goes on and on. The groups with the names we've all heard before don't have dibs on causing problems throughout the world so their causes get attention.

The Kurds are some of the best warriors I've ever seen, they are to be feared, I truly mean that. There are old proverbs about Afghan warriors being more dangerous than tigers, Kurds make Afghans look like schoolboys.

Someone over at the agency better get it into Trumps thick head which side we need to be on here. I know Turkey is a "friend" but damn, the Kurds have taken it on the chin for us time and time again. Much of it being covert.

We all know I knew the US would pay a price of having Trump as president but it was my hope we the people would understand why. It was also my hope the price would not be too high. I've seen enough, America will never realize what I hoped it would, and the price is becoming way too expensive. It's time to end the experiment.

Trump has to go asap. There is too much foreign policy being ignored. Yeah it's great the American economy is on fire, you can open your front door in the morning and make money but ignoring the rest of the world will become a high price indeed. We are who we are and until we aren't we do need to lead. The F35 thing was tongue in cheek

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:28 am

Trump is "friends" with Turkey at least in part because of the two Trump towers he has there. With Trump the explanation always seems to come back to money & self-interest. He really doesn't understand foreign policy at all. Nor does he care to.

When he was first elected, among all the awful things I thought would (and have) happened, I was most worried about him creating or mishandling an international crisis. Here we are.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:11 pm

This:

https://qz.com/1727226/trumps-syria-retreat-blamed-for-murder-of-hervin-khalaf/

Quartz says not verified...McGurk had good credibility. I heard about this on NPR.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:36 pm

More:

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:56 pm

Horrible. Just horrible. I can't even express my contempt for Trump as the atrocities here and abroad just keep piling up.

Where is all of this going to end?

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:15 pm

I just don't know, sef. I think I need to take a news vacation.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:35 pm

That is so terrible.

Rotting in hell is too good for trump.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:06 pm

Eugene Robinson, columnist for WaPo on the Syrian situation:
The administration is scrambling to try to correct a huge unforced error, but the damage is irreparable.

254 posts