Amazing digestive results using Sherwood Pellets

Kelsie

Post   » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:50 pm

I also bought one bag just to try them and my pigs absolutely refused to eat them. My pigs love their pellets and with the Sherwood brand, the pellets sat all day without being touched. I know that pellets are just a small part of their diet but it really bothered me to see them walking around looking for their KMS pellets. After three days I just gave up and tossed the bag and went right back to KMS.

My pigs have always done well on KMS so I thought why am I changing. I feel confident in the quality of KMS pellets.

I was also a little concerned about how this brand seemed to pop up overnight. The pellets may be really great, but as others have said until there is more evidence, I think I'll stick to what has worked for me.

skinnypigs1
Supporter in '12

Post   » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:33 pm

I am still using Sherwood pellets a year later and all the rest of their items. Has been going well.
It did take time to switch some of the pigs onto them.
I really love their recovery food for syringe feeding to some of my seniors and having on hand for emergencies.

skinnypigs1
Supporter in '12

Post   » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:22 pm

Sherwood has made a new formula that contains no alfalfa, just timothy (so you can pick either now).
I have tested it out with my pigs and they all wanted the new formula vs the old one, so we switched.
Worth a check out :)

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:57 pm

For me, Sherwood has a serious credibility issue with their assertions that 1) their alfalfa pellets are perfectly okay to feed to adult guinea pigs because excessive calcium in the diet does not contribute to sludge or bladder stones [which begs the question, why develop a timothy-based product?]; 2) a diet consisting solely of 1st and 2nd cutting hay and Sherwood pellets [no fruit or veggies] will lower urinary pH and therefore prevent sludge and bladder stones; 3) their urinary support tabs are capable of dissolving existing bladder stones:

I've found no scientific evidence to support any of those claims, especially when all studies I've ever seen over the years point to the opposite. That, 1) increased calcium can be problematic for guinea pigs in general and particularly those who are predisposed to stone formation; 2) there is no reliable way to reduce urinary pH sufficiently or consistently to prevent calcium carbonate stones; 3) there is no known way to dissolve calcium carbonate stones once they have already formed.

Feeding soy- and grain-free pellets may well have some advantages where digestive issues are concerned, and it's fine if you think their pellets are helping your animals in some way, but I question how reliable the "science" behind it might be when Sherwood's other claims are questionable at best. That's my issue with the company.