Mr. Bubbles and Scruffy

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:47 pm

Scruffy's fleece forest as requested.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:33 am

Looks like it would also be cozy if there was a chill in the air!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:58 pm

It is. I made it pretty dense. The knots on the top make for a very comfortable spot for him to lay. It also has the added benefit of a great view, which Scruffy loves. It's a win-win-win LOL!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:26 pm

Neat idea!

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:24 am

What kind of wood did you use, pine? At some point I will have to replace the “loft” in my smaller cage since the clips are wearing out. She doesn’t use the ramp, so I thought a shelf across the back would work, but I wasn’t sure if I should use aspen or if pine would be okay.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:46 am

It looks like pine. With a little remodeling on the stands/feet. If they do climb up and pee on it, that could make keeping things clean and not stinky difficult. I'd have a separate, isolated pad with a waterproof divider between it and the top if you went that route.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:47 pm

I agree. The legs are pine and the top is made of the same material used on a wooden cutting board. I never intended for the guinea pigs to be able get on top of it. I made the mistake of underestimating Scruffy's intelligence and ability to hop and climb. The fleece knots absorb the urine more than the wood does and requires rinsing and cleaning at least every third day; depending on how much time he spends up there. I thought about moving things around so he can't get up there, but he would push his hut over to the fleece forest and get up there anyway. So I'll just leave it the way it is and keep it clean for him. If it comes down to it, I can pull the fleece strips out and replace them.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:16 pm

That looks like fun!! And Scruffy sounds like one smart pig. At least one of our pigs nudged her hidey around to where she wanted it.

CleoCharity

Post   » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:11 pm

Renovsparky, have you considered buying or making a potty pad to put on top? Most places that sell guinea pig cage liners or toys have them. I've found them useful in places where my pigs love to hang out, and you can just throw them in the wash whenever they get dirty.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:52 pm

That sounds like a good idea. Although I wonder if he would chew it. That little guinea pig chews more than the others combined, or at least it seems that way sometimes. I've given up on trying to keep him from tearing up his stuff and relegated myself to the fact that it's his cage and he's going to do what he wants with it. I just make sure there's nothing for him to get hurt on and that it's as clean and sanitary as I can keep it.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:17 am

Scruffy going for the keys. Those little holes in the seam of my shirt are from him.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:50 am

I so remember my guinea pig Snowflake and how she nibbled holes in my sweatshirt! She was always nervous about being picked up and carried anywhere (fear of falling?). So I got most of the holes during transport.

It looks like your shirt could use a few more holes ;-)