Jill, Jaffa and Jupiter

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:57 am

I always, always, always give probiotics after every dose of antibiotics.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:51 pm

Around 7 weeks ago maybe more, Jaffa was put onto Doxy. No problems. Then around 10 days after her poops become mushy. Nothing I do seemed to help. Doxy did clear infection!

I have tried medication like Flagyl, and this seemed to work but after 10-20 days later soft poops return. She is on Protexin once a day as she loves it, and was on poop soup also twice a day.

I have cut out rockmelon(her favourite), cucumber, cos lettuce and tomatoes. I am in process of growing some cat grass.
Have not seen her eat hay or her poops. Now as to her diet she is getting carrot, spinach, baby spinach, silverbeet, oak lettuce, Oxbow pellets which she occasionally eats, Timothy hay, and Meadow or Oaten hay depending on what we can get due to the drought.

Now some suggested Vitamin C supplement but when I give her some she stops eating-Vitamin C I got from health food shop. Jessie was on it for last 2 years of her life and she loved it. I would add a pinch once a day.

I don't really want to take her to the vet again as I am scared as to what else they are going to inject her with. And last time I took Joy to the vet they were talking about taking blood whilst she was awake. NONE will listen when I tell them you don't need 2 vials to have blood tested as that is almost half a guinea pigs blood supply. I have suggested many times to cut the quick in a claw or two but they insist this is not enough. To make it worse pathologist when testing a guinea pig's blood have no idea what they are looking for!

Now don't say go to exotic vets or piggy savvy vet as (a) there are none and (b) they too if you can find one want to take blood too. There is a Dr Vella listed on GL's recommend vets here in Australia and he too takes blood from guinea pigs.

We have tried removing lettuce or spinach and silverbeet from diet but what ever we remove she stops eating.
It is alright if you have no suggestions as I am fresh out of ideas as well! With the Doxy vet said point 0.5mls twice a day for both Jaffa and Joy(both had lung infections) BUT with Jaffa I gave her point 0.4mls twice a day and Joy point 0.3mls twice a day as in both cases point 0.5mls twice a day seemed a lot to me!

Any suggestions much appreciated! I have also sent links and printed up the pages from GL concerning mushy poops and drugs that can help firm them up, taken them with me but as usual they just ignore me. Thanking any replies in advance.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:22 pm

I forgot to mention in way of diet have tried capsicum-red, green and yellow, swede, parsnip, turnip, parsley, coriander, watercress, broccoli(not too much), rocket to name some and the little minxes won't eat any of it!

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:26 pm

I am extremely worried about Jaffa!!!!! Had her booked in for Monday but have now booked her in for tomorrow at 11.15am.
Here is a guideline for you, will bring this in with me tomorrow as well:
6th July 1240grams.
30th July 1118grams.-treated for infection and mushy poops.
19th August 1129grams.
6th September 1097grams.
27th October 1007grams.
1st November 988grams.
7th November 871grams.
Weight lost of 369grams in 4 months or 117grams in 6 days.

She is eating, drinking, peeing, pooping, no dribbling or food falling out of her mouth. No noisy or rapid breathing. No squeaking when peeing or pooping. No blood in private area.
Until tomorrow will put her on 2 drops of Tramal twice a day, though not hunched up or coarse coat.

They say things happen in three's, I will scream if it does!!!!!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:51 pm

How old is she?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:20 pm

Are you doing supplemental feeding? I am sorry she has lost so much weight.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:59 pm

Yes to handfeeding. She will be 5 on December 15th 2019.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:47 am

Good luck with the appointment tomorrow! I hope they have some answers.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:08 am

Thanks for the replies. Sadly the news is not good. Took Jaffa to vet early as she lost 80grams in 24 hours. Vet could find nothing wrong. Jaffa was sedated and blood taken.

Whilst under teeth checked and checked for diabetes. Teeth normal. Sugar in blood 4.6. So blood is being sent away for possible organ failure. She lost another 70grams in 24 hours. At this rate she'll be gone by next week.

Keep you posted! Feeling really low here. Jaffa still not eating being hand fed. X-rays weren't taken as vet couldn't feel anything. She has gone from 871grams 48 hours ago to 755grams.

She was born same day Jessie left us! Even has birth mark on bottom of paw in shape of a heart. A piggy hardly been ill. It's just not fair! May get results as soon as tomorrow(Saturday). A part of me doesn't want to know!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:51 am

I'm sorry that she's doing poorly. It sounds like it could possibly be renal failure.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:19 am

I am so sorry to hear this news. I know how much you love your guinea pigs and how hard you fight for them.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:19 am

Thanks for the replies! Did you hear me all the way in the USA? Blood results are back. After a nervous wait, sleepless night, there was no signs of organ failure.

I asked about cancer and she said white blood cells were strange(have no idea what that meant)she said bloods don't show presence of cancer?????

She said maybe infection. Try Flagyl, if no improvement bring her in with Joy on Monday and X-rays will be done. Which I asked for last week.

I asked about thyroid test but she said there was none and Jaffa didn't look like a piggy with thyroid problems.

So for now I can breathe and sleep easier. Thanks for all the support, replies and comfort you gave. It all meant so much!!!!!