piggy noise

sozansound2

Post   » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:21 pm

Noticed a sound i believe to be of pain but i wanted to get some more opinions about it. Was letting my pigs try out some red peppers and see if they like it when snuggled on a fleece towel. Was able to get a phone close enough to get some good sound without startling him when i started hearing the sounds. when placed back, there was 3 pieces of good sized poops but squishable (read a bit down for more explanation). urine, i cant tell as the other pig also urinated and they were both faced the same direction.

A bit of background on him. He accidentally injured his eye and has been on enrofloxacin susp. (aka baytril) 0.45ml 2 times a day , ofloxacin opth solution 4 drops a day and metacam 0.45ml 2 times a day. saw the vet on nov 7th.

Already seen allot of improvement in his eye. Not blue anymore. There was a hint of blue in the middle of his eye yesterday (nov 9) but today (nov 10) it is a dark shiny eye. I have been decreasing the dosage mostly on the antibiotics as improvements started and the fact that i know how heavy it is on pig's stomach in the first place. the only one i would give 2 times a day was metacam (one in the morning and one before bed) as the eye injury turned into an ulcer and i know how painful they are. baytril i gave 2 times for 2 days straight ( one in the afternoon and one at night) but turned it into once a day since nov 9.

Appetite is like a horse as normal. still as active as always. my most active pig and comes out on his own for hay and water. has always eaten all his veggies exept green peppers. he has always liked it but to a certain amount.

I believe it may be when pooping or urinating. since i noticed both pig's poops come out as good size pellets but they arent as firm. they keep the roundness but if you try and squich them, they collapse rather easy then the slight resistance you get from a normal poop.

Today i changed the way i give them lettuce. would give both half each every morning. now i got 1 half and cut that half in half, gave the same amount to both to see if there is any improvement. the other half would be given around the afternoon.

sozansound2

Post   » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:26 pm

the follow up appointment is this upcoming Thursday. i do not know if i should continue to administer anything other than metacam in case of leftover pain. i do not see any inflammation around the part were that ulcer was located. not knowing if pain or just a normal sound, do not know if i should administer baytril ether.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:05 pm

I think that you are correct that it sounds like he is experiencing pain. If there weren't complicating factors (the eye injury) I would be pointing you toward the stones page, since often pain from stones can be felt when a guinea pig is passing feces.

Watch to see if he scrunches up and makes this noise when passing feces. If you can positively tie it, it could be worthwhile looking into this. I believe other digestive issues can cause this pain too.
https://www.guinealynx.info/stones.html

sozansound2

Post   » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:59 pm

I was watching him when he was doing the sounds. He was not hunched. He was laying or In a neutral position when I heard them.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:26 pm

Watch further for an indication of the source of the pain. See if you can pin it to passing cecal feces.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:20 pm

No blood in the urine, I assume? Any stomach distention? I have a male who will vocalize quite a bit when his stomach is bothering him. Others of ours have vocalized when urinating or defecating, and it was related to having a bladder stone as Lynx mentioned. I think in your place I'd opt for x-rays to look for either gassiness, sludge or a bladder stone.

sozansound2

Post   » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:42 pm

I been sitting next to his cage along with my other pig too to see if I hear ether one make any noice. Been here for 3-4 hours. Examine every single dropping as well.

Have not hear any signs of distress. Will probably get him again for lap time and extend the duration to give him enough time to pee/poo.

I have also palpated his stomach to see if he had any bloat of any kind as well. All seems normal. I did get concerned and opted not to give him the antibiotics. Just the pain meds and eye drops (even doe the eye looks good) till I narrow down the reason he is making those sounds.

Even doe it was hard to see of he peed too as the other pig peed as well before him. Will get him out first to be able to identify allot better.

Did not see any blood like colors on the fleece ether but will keep an eye out.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:40 am

You would also look for gritty pee or lots of pasty pee.

Perhaps this was a one time issue. Being observant, as you are, is a very good thing.

sozansound2

Post   » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:41 am

Quick question. Want to make sure I am not confusion normal poop and soft poop.

Both poops from both pigs comes out the regular color everyone says it is good.

It stays the pellet like form and is not mushy or diarrhea like ether. If they would step on it, it would get smashed down.

If I were to grab it and slighty squish it between my fingers, should it have some kind of resistence or easily get crushed?

I am talking about fresh poop. Not poop that has dried out because of hours laying on the floor.

Just need some clarification on this subject.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:05 pm

Normal poop is well-formed, dark in color and firm but not hard. Soft poop is mushy without a normal shape or size, and can be clumpy. Good examples here:
https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... 5#p2107815

You might also find this useful:
https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=68360

sozansound2

Post   » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:08 pm

Follow up on the lap time. So he did do the sound again after about 15 minutes into it. Thing is, he loves to pee and poop at the same time.

Believe he peed first and then poop followed. Thing is, a few minutes after that, he went on a pooping spree. Reason why I know was because he kept going under and munching which tells me he was eating his own poop without making the sound as I did not even realize.

Saw him poop after realizing. There was an instance were he hunched a bit over but no sound ether. Is that normal to hunch over a bit when not in pain when pooping? Just regular activity?

He is on antibiotics exept yesterday since I didn't know if it was a good idea to give him that not knowing were the pain was coming from. If he had a UTI, the antibiotics would of tooken care of that I believe.

So I still go back to stones or something else. Unless the stones is small enough to not be able to move around as much or he is just a very whiny pig xD

@sef looks just like both of my pigs. Guess I was confusing them. Thank you. It does help keep understand a bit better. I did see yesterday, one of my pigs pooped a good shaped one but it was bigger than usual. Then every other one was normal doe.

sozansound2

Post   » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:12 pm

Also the pee he did at first had a bit of white color to it. Since he peed on the fleece, I can see the white color pretty clearly. It was not a whole lot doe. Just tought I should mention