When to switch to lower calcium pellets with young piggies.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:27 am

I feed whatever low calcium brand I can get my hands on in the EU, which varies unfortunately and is limited. Each order, I check which ones het delivered at my door and see if one if low calcium. I am usually lucky that I find a brand, without choice.

SardonicSmile

Post   » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:39 am

Mine are currently on Science Selective Grain free

Does contain calcium carbonate.

I tried posting a link, but it wouldn’t show up... Amazon.com carries it.

pigwidgeon

Post   » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:11 am

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I recently adopted two baby sisters for my Lucy, who just lost her cagemate. The sisters are 2-4 months old according to the rescue. Lucy is eating Sherwood timothy pellets for adult piggies so that's what the little ones are eating as well. Should I go out and buy a special pellet for young piggies? Or are they OK eating Lucy's pellets? (Intros went very well and they are all living in the cage now).

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:32 am

I'm not a fan of any of the Sherwood products. If it were me, I'd switch to Oxbow adult and feed all of them that. You can boost the daily amount until they reach adulthood. You could also feed/supplement the two younger pigs separately with Oxbow alfalfa pellets for another couple of months or so, but I'm not sure it's really necessary.

Glad to hear they're all doing well!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:31 am

You can also feed them all adult pellets and just take the pups out once a day for extra calcium-rich veggies until they're six months old.

pigwidgeon

Post   » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:55 am

Thanks guys! Sef, I'm curious, why do you dislike Sherwood? I actually switched from Oxbow bc Sherwood is getting rave reviews from some guinea pig youtube pages I follow and since Ricky (RIP) had chronic issues with bloat and soft poops, that they might improve things for him. The pigs are eating the timothy formula of the Sherwood pellets but Ricky and Lucy seemed to prefer the taste of the Oxbow.

bpatters, I am letting the little ones get used to being here for a couple days and they are very skittish. But after they are more comfortable being picked up I could take them out for some extra veggies.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:05 am

The "science" behind the Sherwood products is very iffy. And Sherwood is supplying some of those youtube pages with free pellets in exchange for their pushing the products. I wouldn't feed them on a bet.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:01 am

I talk about my issues with Sherwood here:
https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... f#p2301968

In addition to supplying certain individuals and rescues with free pellets to push their products, there have also been campaigns, either by someone at Sherwood or by one of their paid "fans," to besmirch Oxbow's reputation by posting erroneous information about Oxbow pellets on various Facebook pages. Probably the most egregious of those claims was, “[Oxbow] contains Cane Molasses which can cause toxic bacteria to build up in the gut and kill your guinea pig.”

I don't think much of any company that uses pseudo science to sell products and/or to discredit those with a proven track record.