Jan's Toothy Smile medical thread

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:03 am

I thought the vet suspected fluid in the lungs. What makes the vet think there is fluid in the abdomen?

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:25 pm

When took X-ray saw nothing but fluid. no lungs, no heart, no tummy nothing but fluid!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:38 pm

That does not sound good! I can understand how frustrating this is and how worried you are.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:02 am

I so HATE vets!!!!! Back in June or July took joy to see a so called guinea pig savvy vet. she put her onto 1ml of Benazepril once a day HCL 2MG/ML .

When current vet wrote a new script researched weight dose etc and it seems joy should be getting point 0.1ml. so for months have been over dosing her.

I am so NOT happy!!!!! My poor baby!!!!! I am glad I found this new vet!!!!! My sweet baby! Now you know why I won't trust them!!!!!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:02 am

There is a saying, "Trust but verify." As pet owners (and even when it comes to our own meds), it behooves us to double-check meds and doses because doctors don't always get it right.

Benazepril has a wide range of effectiveness for rodents at 0.05mg/kg to .25mg/kg. You can calculate the dose using Lynx's dose calculator here:
https://www.guinealynx.info/calculate_dose.html
You would need to know your pig's weight, the dose that your vet wants to use within that range, and the strength/concentrate of the drug you were given.

[ETA: Please be reminded of Lynx's rules of the forum on spelling and punctuation. Excessive exclamation points makes posts hard to read]

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:16 am

[ETA: Please be reminded of Lynx's rules of the forum on spelling and punctuation. Excessive exclamation points makes posts hard to read]

I was angry at the time of posting and apologise for them! But what about people in the USA who use a Z instead of a S like in realise or the missing letter U like in flavour. This makes it hard for me to read! I don't complain.

As to working out correct dose for ones pigs not every one was/is good at maths! Now a person spends years training to be a vet, they use Internet and calculator to work out dosage. Well forgive me if I am dumb enough to trust them to be able to use these tools! And besides this I had asked 2 other vets whether the dose was right and they both said it was!

I do NOT trust them in treating guinea pigs but in medication and dose rate 7 out of 10 vets I trust! Same as I trust my doctor of 40 years. Forgive me for being born in a time where trust and respect were important(60 years ago!)

I come on here for help and advice and try to help others where I can. I have never criticised anyone! I have always tried to help and be kind and calming when I reply to a post.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:28 pm

I'm sorry if you interpreted my comment as some sort of personal attack, but my point was simply that mistakes can and do happen -- particularly with less savvy vets who may not have the most up-to-date or accurate dosing information for exotics. This is precisely why Lynx lists drug information and has that dose calculator on the site. Even the most knowledgeable vet or doctor can get it wrong once in a while. Again, trust but verify.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:10 pm

Also keep in mind that this site is not infallible. Drug dosage can change over time (new information). Some of the discussions I have had online recently have pointed out that my info is not completely up to date (Guinea Lynx has been online for 20 years).

Most importantly, how has your guinea pig responded to that dose? If you are not seeing problems and perhaps even seeing improvements, it may be appropriate for your guinea pig.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:32 pm

The higher dose was having no ill affect and she was actually gaining weight. Now on the lower dose she has lost or maintained her weight. Going to vet tomorrow to have chest listened too so will know either way. Thanks Sef+Lynx.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:59 am

Okay, I am touching wood here, Joy is doing well on the doxy-tummy tolerating it. She is gaining weight and eating 95% of her green food. We hope this will continue. Keep you posted.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:47 am

Thank you for the update. I hope the improvements continue!

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:24 pm

Joy on heart meds now for 4 weeks plus on Doxy(fluid every where) there has been no change in her breathing. So she will be going back to the vet tomorrow. Any suggest again much appreciated. Keep you posted!