Pepino's Medical Thread, Starting with Mites

JaneDoe

Post   » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:25 am

Thank you both.

The vet called with Pepino’s necropsy results the day (or the day after) I dropped him off but this has been very painful to post about. Surprisingly it apparently wasn’t the cancer that killed him—it had spread very little if at all since the surgery. The vet said she found blood in his chest so it was probably a heart attack or a stroke that killed him—whatever it was it was probably sudden although I knew about 12 hours before he died he probably didn’t have much time.

Surprisingly his liver and kidneys were fine although he had been on various medications for almost eleven months—my own liver and kidneys took a beating from just a few weeks of OTC medications. At any rate she says he probably didn’t suffer much (he seemed pretty good about 25 to 36 hours before) and even if I had got him to an emergency vet it wouldn’t have helped. And he got to die at home.

I am tearing up just writing this and still feeling blue, even though the vet says Pellegrino is fine and we are going with all the happy things that come with adopting a new baby.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:51 am

I'm so sorry, JaneDoe. I'm sure it was sudden if it was either a stroke or heart attack, and there was nothing that the vet could have done.

Sending you a gentle hug.

JaneDoe

Post   » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:07 am

Thank you, Sef, the sad feelings come and go. I am happy about getting a new baby and that Pellegrino seems well but still sad thinking about Pepino. And for all the beautiful piggies who need homes whom I can’t adopt. But once things are official with the new baby my mission will be to find homes for these other guys. And girls.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:16 am

Although I only had one necropsy done (on Kitten, the guinea pig), it was very helpful to have the results and glad I had it done. Sometimes we don't get a definitive answer but at least enough information to have an idea of what likely happened. I see so many guinea pig owners blame themselves for a death when they had actually done all they could.

I am sorry about Pepino.

JaneDoe

Post   » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:33 am

Thank you, Lynx. What amazes me is that almost a year on multiple medications his liver and kidneys were unharmed. The OTC stuff really did a number on me.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:34 am

Jane, I send my sympathy to you. At least now you know what happened with Pepino. You provide such good care for your piggies I’m glad to hear another lucky baby is coming your way.

JaneDoe

Post   » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:18 am

Thanks, ItsaZoo.

My mom wanted to know why I wanted to have a necropsy done and I told her what the woman at the Alexandria shelter (where I got Pippin and Pandora) told me. One reason scientists experiment on pigs and bunnies is that they are so sensitive--industry figures if a product doesn't hurt them it won't hurt anyone. My pigs have been to some of the best vets in the region--I figure eventually we are all contributing to the greater good.