Jill, Jaffa and Jupiter

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:27 pm

Pinta has said there is kind of a pocket in the throat. That could be involved. Another sign of gagging could be indeed caused by a blockage such as an internal tumor. Perhaps an xray would show something. See if the dental xray will also include the throat for evaluation (I think they could do this).

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:13 am

Jaffa went to vet this morning where again under sedation it was discovered this time some pre-molars top and bottom had her tongue trapped. So had them filed down.

We noticed over week-end her incisors were slanted and didn't match up. She was given a Baytril injection for infection. Temgesic Temvet injection for pain. Told Flagyl for 3 more days and keep up the Critical Care.

Lets hope now she can start eating and putting weight on again. Was told for tonight to keep her away from her sister Jill. Kept stress free for tonight.

Will keep you posted and thanks again for all who took the time to reply and offer advise and support! Much appreciated!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:52 am

Ah, then my idea of these signs indicating possible malocclusion were a reasonable suggestion.

I hope things improve.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:44 pm

Thanks Lynx. Jaffa is still not eating and lost 30grams overnight. Weighing in at 730grams. We are still hand feeding her and this morning I decided to give her some Meloxicam. 0.3mls twice a day.

I don't think she is in pain I just think her mouth feels strange especially having her tongue free. Jessie use to get her teeth filed to gum line every 2-4 weeks and she wanted to be fed 5 minutes after she woke up. So am hoping Jaffa picks up soon!

If she is no better Friday will have to bring her back into the vet as she hasn't got much weight to lose now. I use to struggle to pick her up and now all too easy!

Even Joy and Jay are heavier than her now and she use to fight with Jewel as to who was the fattest pig so what a big turn around! Will keep you posted

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:01 am

Dental work can be painful, and the Metacam should help.

You won't see weight gain in just a day. You already know this, but be sure to weigh at the same time every day, preferably in the a.m. before feeding, in order to get the most accurate picture of what her weight is doing.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:57 am

Thank-you Sef. Jaffa is still not eating. We are syringe feeding her every 3 hours but she has lost 78grams in 24 hours. Soon she will below 700grams(now 707grams). Back in August she was over 1,200grams.

She is on Flagyl, which I have been told is no antibiotic, should I switch her to Bactrim or Doxy? Or leave as is? Thought she might be lonely so have put her back in with her sister Jill.

She is peeing and pooping and as per usual after all dental trims she is trying to eat but just can't. I have made an appointment at the vet Friday if she is no better will take her in.

Any advise much appreciated. When Jessie got her teeth done she just bounced back and went straight back to eating and only lost 10-30 grams then would gain it again! I am not use to this so am begging for help!

She is on Flagyl twice a day, Protexin twice a day and Meloxicam twice a day. I just have a bad feeling about this one and kick myself for not noticing sooner before all that weight lost. Thanking anyone in advance!

We weigh around 10.00am and again at 10.00pm to see what has happened during the day/24 hour period. Will keep you posted.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:26 am

Look at how she moves her saw and see if it opens and closes normally and if she can chew. A jaw can be accidentally over extended during the process of trimming teeth (their mouths are small). Pinta had at least one guinea pig with a dislocated jaw that an animal physiotherapist corrected for her (manipulated, rocking it knowledgeably back into place).

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:47 am

Thanks Lynx. Jaw appears okay. She is just not interested in food. Will ring vet up when opened.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:22 pm

No change in Jaffa, still not eating or interested in eating so back to the vet. Vet will take more X-rays of abdomen, looking at wind and maybe twisted gut.

She posted on VIN and got reply saying Jaffa serious condition may have blockage, try Zantac and Metomide. If no better try surgery. Weight Monday 17th 780grams today Thursday weight 690grams.

Been on pain med for 3 days and still just sits in corner and doesn't move. VIN also thought might be bloat and said Jaffa would not be easy to treat.

Will keep you posted any suggestions much appreciated!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:33 pm

I am sorry to hear she is losing more weight. It does sound like Jaffa will not be easy to treat :-(

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:52 am

Okay, vet took X-rays again all looked good. Less wind too. Teeth also looked good. So vet watched Jaffa eat and noticed she wanted to eat but tongue couldn't push food to the back for her.

Vet is sending me pictures of X-rays and tongue. Her tongue looks like she has two tongues. The back of tongue looks stuck to bottom of mouth and doesn't move. Has anyone come across or know what can be done?

Currently feeding her with thin tube attached to 3ml syringe and putting it at back of mouth being careful she doesn't choke on it. Is there anyone willing too add pictures when/if I get them?

Thanks Lynx. Keep you posted!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:02 am

If you have good clear pictures, I can add them.

The tongue issue sounds unusual. I do not recall anything similar. But have seen deformed tongues from overgrown molars that look very weird. The weirdness is most noticeable after a proper molar trim.