Spencer's Abscess

RyanMarie24

Post   » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:15 pm

Yup! Been using that syringe. Can't really get into the hole as its more of a pinhole opening on his skin that never fully closed from the surgeries. It is right on the scar tissue so I just let drain and clean it 3 times a day. Unfortunately I know the infection will never go away since it's in the bone. I just want him around as long as he wants to be and is fighting.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:44 pm

I can say that in my limited experience, that syringe is super for getting into tiny holes, in case you want to give it a try. One would start out not using a lot of pressure for the flush.

As I mentioned, there may be situations where flushing and pushing liquid in is not the best move. If an abscess drains into the throat, for example.

RyanMarie24

Post   » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:27 pm

Yea. It's just like an opening of skin with scar tissue right there so I'm afraid to try and put the syringe there. The infection drains out of the hole on it's own, so I just clean it with hibiclens. I am gonna ask about trying Chloramphenicol and switching off of the Orbax.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:11 pm

I think that might be a good plan. Keep us posted.

RyanMarie24

Post   » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:53 pm

We can't win. Benson (Spencer's cage mate) was just diagnosed and somehow got Ringworm. All 3 are now being treated with Intrafungol, even though Benson is the only one with Symptoms. Vet said it's ok to give with the Orbax. I just worry as Spencer is prone to bloat.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:09 pm

You don't have to give Orbax (an antibiotic, no?) to Spencer unless there is an infection. The Intrafungol should help.

RyanMarie24

Post   » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:13 pm

He's on long term Orbax now as the infection from the abscess went into his jawbone. He still has pus the leaks out of that opening on his chin, so the infection is still present ☹

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:59 am

Ah. I hope it keeps the infection at bay.

RyanMarie24

Post   » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:12 am

Me too. Day 2 of the Intrafungol. So far all good. I'm honestly surprised Spencer didn't catch it from Benson since he's Immuno-compromised.

daj

Post   » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:02 pm

I've used Intrafungol for ringworm. It knocked it right out, and I didn't see any side effects. Another time I treated it with topical over the counter stuff and it was a real battle that lingered. First 2 of mine got it. Months later the 3rd got, but then I changed to fleece and C&C.

RyanMarie24

Post   » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:03 pm

Woke up to Spencer having a spot of ringworm on his ear 😫😫. I was hoping he wouldn't get it. They've been on intrafungol for a week so hopefully it clears quickly.

RyanMarie24

Post   » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:06 am

Just wanted to give an update. Spencer is continuing doing well. He and his brothers saw Santa this past weekend 😊