Jan's Toothy Smile medical thread

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:13 pm

Joy's heart is a worry! It is beating fast and irregular. There is a murmur as well. Vet is looking for other heart meds or upping dose of current ones.

Joy is eating, being hand fed and for now maintaining weight. She turns 7 next month. Thanks for the replies.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:21 am

It has been around 6 weeks since joy saw the vet. At last visit she said she would do some research and get back to me as the heart medication or dose she is on didn't appear to be doing anything as Joy's heart still irregularly beating, and fluid you could hear.

But have not heard from vet but wasn't concerned as joy was doing well! Now not sure if it is this heat wave(all girls inside with air conditioner going), or whether it is a medical problem. Joy's rapid breathing has returned, and when she exhales it's kind of like a jerk/thud.

She also doesn't like her tummy touched so have put her onto Meloxicam incase she is in pain. Her appetite has dropped from 90% down to 30%. She is being hand fed and has been for last 3 years. Joy did turn 7 on Christmas Eve.

On boxing day we moved Jay from Joy and Jay's divided pen and swapped Jay for Jill and put Jay in with Jersey. Could this have upset Joy? Both pens are side by side so Joy can still smell Jay?

I have made an vet appointment for this week just to make sure things haven't gotten worse. Does anyone have any suggestions? I know none of you are vets or medical back grounds. Joy is our first heart pig and this is all new to us! Thanking any replies in advance.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:19 am

I think for some guinea pigs, changes may be stressful. What is the temperature and humidity in their room?

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:43 am

With air conditioner on it feels like 20C in room. Doesn't feel stuffy or humid. If it was I would know as I am easily affected by the heat. Have no way of knowing as have no gauge.

When I switched Jay(girl) for Jill Joy kept all her bedding. Only pen mate changed with barrier between them. I guess I could put them back if it would help Joy. What do you think?

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:12 am

I don't mean to high jack thread but our 7 year old Joy is on heart medication. 0.1ml of Benazepril equals 2mg/ml once a day Flusapex 0.2mls twice a day. Any higher she stops eating. and 0.3mls of Flusapex 0.2mls twice a day.

BUT fluid still there and so is laboured breathing. Funny thing is she is only eating 50% of her food BUT she is gaining weight. Would this be fluid retention? She is seeing vet yet again Friday this week. Any advice and suggestions much appreciated! Joy been on these meds for 6 months. Yes to hand feeding.

New vet trying her best but doesn't see many guinea pigs. X-ray taken around October could see nothing as it was all fluid! Thanking in advance. Sorry for stealing your thread Ali_x86.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:35 am

"0.1ml of Benazepril equals 2mg/ml once a day"

Do you mean 0.1ml of Benazepril from a solution with a concentration of 2mg/ml? What is the weight of your guinea pig? If your guinea pig weighed one kilo, that would mean you would be giving 0.2mg/kg.
https://www.guinealynx.info/calculate_dose.html

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:58 am

If your guinea pig weighed one kilo, that would mean you would be giving 0.2mg/kg.
Joy is 800grams at present. Should read 0.3mls twice a day of Flusapex.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:06 am

Without a concentration of the solution, it is not helpful to only add a dosage in mls. To be helpful, we need weight of guinea pig (which you just gave), dosage in ml's or cc's (1 ml=1 cc), and the concentration of the drug in mg/ml (which was not given in the case of the Flusapex or not confirmed in the case of the Benazepril).

Alternatively, saying a guinea pig received a dose of "x" mg per kg (mg/kg) gives the precise amount that can be used to calculate the dosage for another person's guinea pig.

That dose calculator page explains it all.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:48 am

The bottle says100X10mg/ml Flusapex drops 25mls. Benazepril 2mg/ml mixture give 0.1ml. It is all in Jan and Joy's thread.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:56 am

I am unsure what "100X10mg/ml Flusapex drops 25mls" means.

Is the amount you got 25 mls at a concentration of 10mg/ml or is it a bottle of 100 mls at a concentration of 10mg/ml or is it a bottle of 25 mls at 1000mg/ml? (the 1000 mg I got from multiplying 100X10mg)

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:05 am

Can we move this discussion to Joy/Jan's thread? It could get confusing if Daisymay needs to refer back to it later.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:56 am

Any animal that is gaining weight in spite of eating only half their usual food is retaining fluid.