Jan's Toothy Smile medical thread

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:00 am

Does anyone know of a cheap drug book I could buy for future reference? So if one of my girls get sick I can take book with me to the vet?

On another note today is the 5th anniversary of Jemma leaving us. We never forget as it is also my husband's mother's birthday. RIP you beautiful angel! NEVER forgotten!

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:08 am

Thanking everyone who posted and tried to help but at 4.27pm our time Joy slipped away peacefully in her father's arms. Will write more when I am able! Now at peace with sister Jan!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:04 am

I'm sorry, Daisymay. You did everything you possibly could. As I said before, heart issues in exotics are still somewhat poorly understood, even by many capable vets here in the US. Your vet gave you the right meds, but with heart medications in particular it can be a juggling act to get the doses right. My own vet was somewhat at a loss when it came to treating our Joshua a few years ago who had suspected heart issues, and his life was cut short before we could get it managed.

You have my sympathy.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:12 am

Thank-you for your kind words, it means so much to us both. Thank-you Sef for all you tried to do for Joy. I hope we never get another heart pig. Hoping Jan her sister was there to meet her. Thanks again!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:26 am

I am so sorry, daisymay. Your post remembering her in Cavy Chat was lovely. I know she will be missed.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:29 pm

Your post remembering her in Cavy Chat was lovely. I know she will be missed.

Thank-you lynx! BUT thread in Cavy Chat is for Jaffa to whom we lost December 2nd 2019. Both losses have cut us deep and the tears won't stop.

Thanks for the reply Lynx! It means a lot!

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:53 am

I’m so sorry about Joy. You took such good care of her she had a much better life with you than she could have anywhere else. Take care of yourself.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:27 am

Thank-you ItsaZoo! We were sort of coming to terms with Jaffa leaving us and then bam Sweet Joy leaves us too. Thanks for the kind words! We will try to take care of ourselves and the remaining J's left!

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:48 am

What does one do when they have no piggy to syringe feed? Since Jessie back in 2010 to now there has always been one or more piggies to hand feed. Jessie-5 years, Jemma-2 months, Jupiter 1 month, Jasmine 8 months, Jan 2 and a half years, Joy 2 and a half years.

My husband and I have spent the whole day staring at the clock, waiting for the clock to show it is time to feed Joy but Joy isn't here.

So after 10 years what does one do when there are no piggies needing hand feeding. We have felt today dragged on and very tearful.

Due to droughts and bush fires hay is scarce, what hay can guinea pigs eat? We give Timothy hay in a bowl as here it doesn't come in bales and meadow/pasture hay. If there are any other hay please let us know. Thanks every-one. With the pasture/meadow hay it is crap and full of seeds. We DO get the best ones we can get. We get our hay same place as one of the vet nurses gets hers for her piggies.

She did say which confused me you NEVER feed them pasture/meadow hay only Oaten hay. Is this true as I have always fed a bit of each.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:51 am

You would ask her why she said that. It could be some pasture hays have a mix of weeds or high calcium plants that are not advised. In the states, some weeds have spiny parts and can injure the mouth.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:49 pm

I understand how strange it must feel to have that time on your hands Daisymay. We had dogs over the years that needed so much care as they got older. The last one had recurring issues for about a year and when she was gone I realized how much time I spent caring for her. I was sad and lonely, and that’s how I ended up adopting a guinea pig. I hope your family finds some peace and I wish you all well through the terrible fires.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:24 am

Hard to believe it has been 5 years since you left Jan. Seems like yesterday we bought you home. You were quirky, loved the camera and such a little sweet-heart. I miss you so much! Sorry you suffered at the hands of vets. You deserved so much better. You stole my heart. RIP Cheeky Cherub! Be good!

Jan looking like she has something to say.

Jan looking adorable.

Jan hypnotised during toothbrush massage.