piggy noise

sozansound2

Post   » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:17 pm

Since he is weak and not accepting anything when hand feeding food or medicine, is a motility drug recommended?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:17 pm

Motility drug helps stimulate the natural "waves" in the gut that move food along and out of the body. If he's fighting the syringe, that's one thing. If he cannot chew or swallow, that's more serious. Handfeeding is sometimes called "forced feeding" and for a reason. You *must* get food into him. If he fights you on it, you just have to be gentle but firm. Follow the handfeeding instructions and do as I mentioned: cut the tip of the syringe off, warm up the Critical Care (warm, not hot), push the syringe past the front teeth towards the back of the mouth and at an angle. Then slowly push the plunger. Watch that he is chewing. When he stops chewing, push a little more. Little bit at a time.

IF on the other hand, he is just letting food dribble out of his mouth and seems unable (vs. unwilling) to eat, he may need IV fluids at the vet. Do they have an after-hours emergency number if you need it?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:18 pm

ETA: There must be food in the stomach in order for the motility drug to work.

sozansound2

Post   » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:19 pm

There are some emergency locations around here but I stayed away from the 2 near me because of certain reviews i read over the years

sozansound2

Post   » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:23 pm

And some locations require the history the vet who operated on him to actually be able to do something so that narrows down the places I can go dramatically

sozansound2

Post   » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:31 pm

This is what they did. Looks like they did an additional iv treatment.

sozansound2

Post   » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:12 pm

I know they gave him critical care and iv fluids so I feel comfortable he isint gonna starve.

Unless anyone has suggestions,

I will wait till 1pm tomorrow if he is still with me. I don't want him to end up coming to the point and starve to death.

I can't live with that. It will probably be best if I take him to the vet to put him to sleep.

I am gonna watch him all night if he ends up getting strenght back. I will not give up on him but I don't want him to suffer like this if he wont chew when I place the syringe on the side of his mouth.

I still don't know if it was the best course of action to bring him back but I would like to be reunited with my closest loved ones if something similar happened to me.
In this case, it is with the female pig for burrito.

sozansound2

Post   » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:37 pm

I have noticed now that when I rub the sole of his back foot he ether moves the other foot or scoot upward. I believe that was more effort so far taking him home. Still wont chew doe.
He also kinda did a tiny noice,I believe tired ish but dint quote me and a big breath outwards like 30min after the whole scooting upward.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:42 pm

I do not understand why they gave him penicillin. It looks like it was by injection instead of orally but Penicillin is not recommended for guinea pigs.

Did they give you any pain medication? Like Meloxicam?

sozansound2

Post   » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:45 pm

Is that metacam?

Cause if it is then yes I do but I can't administer it because he won't chew.

I remember reading penicillin isint good for pigs but I only found out what she used was when he was this low and was gonna take him home to attempt nursing.

Honestly, she was probably the best vet I could find to do this operation because hands down any other very would just slice his stomach instead of manipulating the stone and doing a small slice to remove from the penis and seal it with 1 suture. I was super scared and nervous how I would hand feed him with something like a big sutured wound you know.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:50 pm

Yes.

Look over these tips for giving medications:
https://www.guinealynx.info/tips.html

sozansound2

Post   » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:59 pm

I can't because he wont start grinding his teeth so it tells me he is not swallowing and risk aspiration