Unsure of what happened to my pig

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:03 pm

Our vet always tries to do x-rays without anesthesia if at all possible. Most of ours have been cooperative enough that it hasn't been necessary. However, I know some vets do this as a matter of procedure. The amount of anesthesia needed for this is small; "just a whiff." Unless a vet were totally inexperienced when it comes to using anesthesia with rodents, I really wouldn't have too much of a concern about it.

On anal sac cleaning...for me, I have found that it is much easier with two people. My husband holds the guinea pig in his lap in a sort of "sitting up" position (pig's back is against husband's chest), and I go in with the q-tip and mineral oil.

Lisa12

Post   » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:05 am

Hy! Irie&I have question for you :).
HE loves green oats. But I read its high in calcium-is this true?
Can he eat it every day or not? I notice his urine its a bit white .. but otherwise normal..

Meanwhile we re preparing on another measurment and get this out this month at our vets like he suggested if it will grow again..
Time waits for no one and things just happen so fast..in bit more than half of a year he will be 5..so..
best regards to all and your piggs:)

Lisa12

Post   » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:34 am

Nutritional value per 100 g (3.5 oz)
Energy
1,628 kJ (389 kcal)

Carbohydrates
66.3 g
Dietary fiber
11.6 g

Fat
6.9 g
Saturated
1.21 g
Monounsaturated
2.18 g
Polyunsaturated
2.54 g

Protein
16.9 g

Vitamins
Quantity
%DV†
Thiamine (B1)
66%
0.763 mg
Riboflavin (B2)
12%
0.139 mg
Niacin (B3)
6%
0.961 mg
Pantothenic acid (B5)
27%
1.349 mg
Vitamin B6
9%
0.12 mg
Folate (B9)
14%
56 μg

Minerals
Quantity
%DV†
Calcium
5%
54 mg
Iron
38%
5 mg
Magnesium
50%
177 mg
Manganese
233%
4.9 mg
Phosphorus
75%
523 mg
Potassium
9%
429 mg
Sodium
0%
2 mg
Zinc
42%
4 mg

Other constituents
Quantity
β-glucans (soluble fiber) [11]
4 g

So, its high in phosporus not calcium ..:)

Lisa12

Post   » Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:28 am

Hy, people:)!!

Me and Irie finally decided to get this out after half of an year.

I tought okay.. we can make it.. we ll do everything all knowledge to prevent anything wrong at least all we can. Cause he has stuffed nose cause bordetella infection I decide i Will put him in nebulizer just with saline 5 days prior surgery every day so i wont have bother vet about him..

But it just hit us like a train...again..

1. )The vet who worked there and always helped us very kindely and sucessfuly is not working there at all. And he is not working as vet anywhere he is registred but he doesnt have thing open yet. So that is just:(very bad for us.

2.)there is a lot of new people there and other vet who said Irie is restless is there, he is knowledgable, experiend and its impossible to get him on the phone cause he is alone for operations and extreamly bussy. I came there yesterday in the snow(!)with Irie to talk to him, i just wanted warn him about Iries sensitivness on medications, he even has some form of bronhitis or asthma.
And they said I could talk to him..than we came there and we couldnt. It was more than wierd at least he told operation date on 16.3.(his assistant not me)
3.)I also found out they use medications like butrophanol before gas anesthesia. I find out that is safe on Guinea Lynx? But that is not common practice or its not good? Anybody, please.Cause he has asthma he cant be gives all analgesics.

4.)If I wouldnt be able to talk with vet prior surgery I cant see no point in doing it really..Its doesnt seem to meant to be. I even got Irie fatter he is 866g now..but if he would be kept overnight is huge risk he wont eat on his own for 12 hours. Cause he probably wont be operated in the morning-like they did 5 years ago and you got pig back on the same day in the after noon. If he Will be operated in the after noon i Will get him next day.
I ve read about some tumor removal they did with rat they gave her Butorphanol, Metacam, Isolufran or whatever and some AB afterward and kept her overnight.

Now I am really in doubt. Even more. I ll ask else what they said. But as they re known for being the most experienced(at least vet who would operate and we re happy for that, but if i cant speak with him and i dont know...if anybody has some pro advice i would be grateful, we all would be.

My sister said we ll call him and we ll get him and you Will see what he Will say, about staying overnight and you could warn him about infection he
knows and about asthma and sensitivness. If not you can always politely cancel.

My very good friend just said..if its like that and you have such a bad feeling and the whole situation turn for worse, just cancel everything and do not even think about it again.

So if anybody has pro comment it would be very good! Thank you guys..thanks for reading this and staying *with us* through the years i can say, now..

Lisa12

Post   » Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:34 am

*sorry about some English spelling mistakes

*Now I am really in doubt. Even more. I ll ask else what they said. But as they re less experienced (vets) from other clinics, some are really good, but I dont really know how good in comparisation with Iries old vets.

And in this clinic now there are a lot of new people who just came out of school, now. It doesnt make a problem because they wont operate, but you know I am unhappy about it. One girl even didnt know a lot about pigs:(.

Lisa12

Post   » Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:56 am

We decided if I wont be able to talk to vet before 16.3. and get things straight Irie wont be operated. Maybe never. Its alright. Like Ringos vet said..dont complicate..if its not changing that much.. leave it be..

I called other vet for exotics and she also said they keep animals overnight. Very wierd.

If we cancel operation on 16., Irie is scheduled for very skilled dog dermatologist visit on 17.3.!:) and i ll ask finally if she thinks this iseven necessary to put out..if she said no..it Will stay. For sure. Even if its growing..After all its not growing that fast.

Thats all from us.:) I read on guinea lynx pigs can go without food for 6-12hours. Hope that is true, anyway. I always forcefeed pig if he stops eating every 2!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:55 am

Butrophanol is a pain killer, not anesthetic so they could be used together. I don't understand about the staying overnight either. I would push for taking home.

Lisa12

Post   » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:07 am

Tnx, Lynx, so much, really.

Some assistant(but it aint she who decided said he would be operated in after noon..but she doesnt even know, cause the vet who Will operate know this)so I need to get him.

If I wont be able to(as I wrote there is chaos since the other vet left, there were two, equally experienced) I Will ask elswhere if i can get anywhere with good vet to be operated in the morning and left in the evening, of course.

Otherwise i Will let you know what dermatologist says on 17.3. Thanks again.

Are Metacam in liquid form and not in tablet(like Doxycyline)? Irie is intolerant in medication in tablet form that disolves in the water..it means too much i can ask you if i cant ask the vet..

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:45 am

Metacam is a liquid.

Lisa12

Post   » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:51 am

Tnx, Sef, respect.

We Will let you know about dermatology or if he goes on surgery(its scheduled on 16.3 as alternative dermatology visit is scheduled on 17.3) histology reports..

I&Irie are so grateful we *met* you all.. :). And for the help we got and are getting.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:46 am

Good luck and do keep us posted.

Lisa12

Post   » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:49 am

thanks, Sef, of course I Will!

I Will try to get the vet or at least some accurate co-worker if Irie can be free to go home at the same day-if not canceling is in order.

However I read that Butrophanol can cause some sort of respiratory depression in humans with asthma(severe), Irie has of course as you know bordetella infection+some form of asthma(not severe, no trouble breathing, diagnosed after sounds from his lungs, and both vets said its not pneumonia is asthma). HE doesnt need medications for it.All of his life, even before infection.

Does anybody know something about it.
My friend is a pharmacist, she knows all ABs but she said.. sorry, really but you and Irie are so careful(but she also said hands down:)) about all the things that i cant really say how it Will effect guinea pig as I dont know enough about anesthesia and things..

And *our*vet is so not open to thoose kind of question is upsetting and more than that.
So if we wanna his help we need to research a lot of things on our own+i cant help it if other owners are so not interested what is happening with their pigs so only we re asking questions. But nevermind, we are used to it, by now.

If anybody has some informations about guinea pigs with asthma/bronhitis and risk of respiratory depression and butorphanol please write something.

We have to do the homework…:)soi can feel a bit better at least. Irie is eating food and not caring, luckily:).