The Legend of Barry Jenkins

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:40 pm

So glad he is happy again! Shame things like that aren't available here! Enjoy yourself BJ!

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:49 pm

Lucky guy! Glad to see he’s doing well.

I ordered extra hay from Chewy so I have enough for a couple months. Then I cut up one of the boxes and built a maze for Lacey.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-Lc0RHBIvR ... dj4c74bh5f

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:20 am

Cute video and neat maze! Where did you find the little pink step stool, ItsaZoo?

Enjoy your hay treat, BJ!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:31 am

BJ likes to run around on the floor. It's quite a sight to see him popcorn because of his considerable size. Since he's been itchy so much, I didn't realize how much he was missing by not feeling well enough to do anything else but sit there grinding his teeth. Now that he's better, I just love seeing him happy and wanting to play. This has inspired me to get to work on the guinea pig playground I've been putting off making.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:28 am

Oh, I love that, ItsaZoo! Can I try to figure out a way to link to it from some useful topic? Maybe in the records forum? I notice there are issues with high loads that are affecting access to it right now :-(

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:15 pm

How much does "the big guy" weigh? He does look a bit chunky. :P

ItsaZoo - what fun - so many doors to go through!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:48 pm

BJ was 1.56 kg (3.4 lbs) at his last checkup. That's a little bit high, but not critical given his size. We need to get him down closer to 3 lbs. Shouldn't be a problem now that he's well and moving around more.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:32 am

BJ is still getting along famously. It never ceases to amaze me how these scared little ones come around with a little love and attention. That and getting them healthy. The mites are long gone and he hasn't been itchy in quite some time now. His bare spot has filled in nicely and isn't noticeable unless you look very closely for it. I can actually touch it without him going bananas now.

He still doesn't eat the lettuce, so I don't offer it every day anymore. Every few days I try giving him some and he nibbles a couple of bites off of it. He eats most of the cucumber, parsley, carrot and cilantro. I rotate those around for him so he doesn't get too much of any one veggie. His hay intake is still pretty substantial and he eats all of the 8th cup of pellets I give him daily.

As for vitamin c, I have been putting it in his water and he's drinking it all every day. His curiosity is always peaked when I walk in and it's satisfied with a hand sniff, sometimes followed by a nibble. He's gotten a lot better about letting me pick him up. He does squirm a little bit and sometimes he'll bite my arm. It's not a hard bite. It's just enough to let me know he wants to be put back down or be repositioned.

I'm so glad that he's happy now. He's come a long way since I brought him home. He does very well outside too when it's nice enough for me to take him out there. I still can't get over his size! He's the biggest guinea pig I've ever seen; at least in person.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:21 am

So glad things are going well for you both! Hoping things continue to do so. BJ is one lucky piggy to have found you as his slave!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:21 pm

Sounds like he must be one happy guinea pig!

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:18 am

Sef, the pink step stool in the video is actually an overturned storage bin from Dollar Tree. I just used a scissors to cut openings on all four sides and smoothed the edges with some light sandpaper.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:49 pm

Got the boys out to graze in the fresh air and sunshine. These are two big boars! Even though both are considerable size, you can see how much bigger BJ is. Don't worry Lynx. I held back the board and exposed them to the sun only for the split second it took to snap the photo LOL!