CRAZY AGRESSIVE GUINEAPIG (REPOST)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:00 am

That is quite interesting. I am unfamiliar with its use in rabbits. Just because I haven't heard of it doesn't make it false information. Hopefully her vet will be able to look into it.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:04 am

They're the same hormones used for females -- lupron, cystorelin, etc. They reduce testosterone in prostate cancer patients. But I have no idea whether it would work in male guinea pigs.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:09 am

I ran across this that talks about studies that look at aggression in dogs. Hormones may play a part. Looks like it may be complicated and testosterone alone may not be the issue. Also, research needed in guinea pigs, this is about dogs:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 162032.htm

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:32 am

I've heard of tests done in other animals with regard to hormones and aggression, but nothing in small animals and I haven't heard of a hormonal treatment available in male rabbits or guinea pigs---at least, not here in the US. I'd be very interested to know what was used in your rabbit, DaisyMay. Do you know which drug it was?

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:51 pm

No sadly I don't. This is going back some time when we had rabbits before we got the guinea pigs. All I know is the vet researched it and suggested it and it worked on him. It worked like the female hormone injection.

He got one shot, another 2 weeks later and then every 3-9 months when needed. Was told it would lower testosterone.This was at a time when we trusted vets. It wasn't until we got guinea pigs we learnt the hard way vets aren't as smart as they think they are. Bugs however did live to 7 years of age.

madisanimals

Post   » Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:52 pm

I will keep everyone updated on what my vet says about it I am a science student so I'm really interested to see if its an option. Logically it makes sense but obviously guinea pigs are pretty complicated animals that dont like to make it easy haha. I made this post originally because his sudden aggression was just so out of nowhere and majority targeted at little one and ridiculously persistent. I watch so many guinea pig youtubers and guinea pig information videos and Ive never seen a guinea pig be so aggressive through the bars and rip metal bars and even when i take him away he wants to have a go at little one I've never seen anything like it. He's not aggressive to me at all hes the sweetest pig ever but as soon as he sees little one its like holding back an angry child but he doesn't want to be alone but he no longer will be friendly with any of my piggies even a baby pig. I have no clue what's sparked it and he's so smart i've clamped wood over the grids and he still manages to get behind the wood and lift it off. He's bitten through zipties that hold his grids together too it so odd after two years of being a really friendly perfect piggie hes just so angry.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:45 am

Would he or Little one be in pain or sick in any way? Like you said seems strange it just happened over night. But then like people there are just some you just can't bring yourself to like.

Do MALE guinea pigs go through menopause? Human men do. What would he do if you put a stuff toy in with him? I would try and find a solution ASAP before little one grows and gets hormonal himself and tries to go higher in the pecking order.

Reminds me of Jasmine she would just the babies around cause she could. Scared the life out of them especially Jill. But it wasn't so much fun when they grew and started to pick on her!

Really hoping you can get this sorted. Maybe this might help if you send them a message? https://www.facebook.com/cavysavyguinea ... he-HPqYPTI They are some where in Australia. Please keep us posted. Sorry Lynx if I shouldn't have posted this link. It's just this situation has me baffled and as this guinea pig rescue is in Australia as we are just thought they could help and know what is available here.

madisanimals

Post   » Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:56 am

Neither of them have shown signs of sickness or anything I weigh them weekly and i give them check ups too, their teeth are fine and i don't notice any bloating and theres been absolutely nothing visibly different I have given Bo a stuffed teddy when he's been alone inside while the guinea pigs are outside and he kind of just ignores it or he sleeps behind it sometimes. Little one is six months older than Bo but he is significantly smaller. He isn't going to get any bigger. The rescue i got him from was a bit unreliable and sold him to me ridiculously prematurely i was naive to thinking they knew best but after he didn't stop wheeking for a week straight i did some research and he couldn't of been more then a few days old when i got him so his growth is quite stunted and he's never tried to be in charge even the babies have mounted him and all he does is lick their ears and mouth but in the last few days i have seen him getting a bit more confrontational with Bo through the bars. I spoke to my vet today and she said that she would do some more research on hormone therapy but she also said it could be a dietary issue I have an appointment Wednesday with her to get some bloods taken. I will definitely contact them I just want to find someone who's had a similar situation because I've never seen anything like this before

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:20 am

Maybe Little one was the runt of the little? Our Jan was and at first she allowed sister Joy to do anything then bam Jan started to think she was 10 feet tall and would pick on anyone no matter the size. Even my husband and myself. But she had a loving gorgeous face you couldn't resist her! Gee we miss her!!!

Would only get bloods taken as a last resort! To get enough blood to test here in Australia is nearly half a guinea pigs blood supply. I have had a few piggies take ill after bloods were taken. So be careful! Good luck at the vets!

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:02 pm

How big is your pen? For some reason boys need more room than girls. They need hidies with 2 openings, if Little one is small maybe a small place that only he can fit into? Hoping all goes well at the vet!

madisanimals

Post   » Wed May 20, 2020 4:42 am

UPDATE: sorry I didn't want to make this post till i knew exactly how it was going to go so I didn't misinform anyone and it also took a while to see results. I took Both little one and Bo to the vet before my vet got back to me about her research as Bo broke into the other side of the cage and attacked little one. He is okay it was just a nasty bite but my vet spent some time with both of them to see how they interact as she couldn't see anything wrong with his diet or teeth and he didn't seem to be in pain but he had lost weight because he was stressed. I spoke to her about options and she advised against neutering because of his age and surgery is just risky and she said it would be best if the herd stayed together or alternatively i try to find him another male friend but she said due to his weightloss he obviously wants to be with another pig. So she suggested a hormone implant which limits the production of testosterone and she said it would take 1-6 weeks and he would calm down if it was purely hormonal (it was a 50/50 chance) and she said if little one is still attacking him even though Bo's calmed down then little one would need a hormone implant too so it was about 2 weeks and Bo was basically a different piggie. He was basically ignoring little one but little one was still being quite aggressive with him (throwing his head up, lunging, chasing) so last week I took little one in to get his implant and the herd is back together still some grumpiness on little ones end but nothing that i think will lead to a fight or attack just being pushy and alot of a rumble strutting. My vet said she hadn't seen such an aggressive pig before because she said usually if they are in pain which would warrant that aggression they would be aggressive towards the human too. Thankyou so much to everyone for the advice it was really helpful. I would definitely recommend a hormonal implant if you find anyone else come across this problem I have had really great success with it and I'm so happy that my herds back together. It was also significantly less expensive then neutering it was $100 for the implant and it will last 6 months. For long term you can get them neutered or you can just continue to get the implant to avoid surgery but it's really good to know thats an option. She said its also possible that the implant might not need replacing and they might just be fine after the six months

madisanimals

Post   » Wed May 20, 2020 4:49 am

^^ also forgot to add she suggested that periodically i let Bo and little one have contact just one on one and when it gets too much stop for the day and try again tomorrow it was definitely helpful suggestion especially a week after Bo got his implant just to get them used to eachother