Ovarian Cysts???

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:55 pm

It could be fatty eye and sometimes the tissue is pink. However, since the eye is weeping I would want to check for an irritant or injury in the eye, just to be sure.

Here is a good video of a guinea pig with fatty eye: https://youtu.be/XJOGwXqsw2E

Brist1cm

Post   » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:28 pm

Here are better pictures I believe https://photos.app.goo.www.guinealynx.info/

It doesn't seem to bother her but the weeping concerns me too.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:34 pm

Pea eye isn't necessarily all the area under the eye, and that's what her eye looks like to me.

It's not usually serious, although it is anecdotally possibly linked to heart disease.

Brist1cm

Post   » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:15 pm

We were always suspicious of heart disease for Bailey based on her irregular breathing patterns. Would heart medications hurt if she didn't have a condition? I'm not sure all the testing is worth it if we can just try meds.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:17 pm

Just trying meds is usually the way heart disease is "diagnosed." Just be aware that some vets are reluctant to try them, but it's worth the effort to find one that will.

Brist1cm

Post   » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:20 pm

I'm going to search the thread but I've seen Lasix a few times, is that the most prevalent medication?

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:53 am

Joy was on 2 medications, one for her heart and one for BP. They were Benazepril and Furosemide. Seems they work in conjunction with each other. If Bailey gets better then it is her heart, if she stays the same then it is not her heart and no harm done by trying heart medication.

I am sorry you lost Bella. RIP wee one. Run around in perfect health in paradise and munch on the greenest of grass. For ever young, popcorn to your hearts desire. Sending big hugs!

X-rays could also be taken of chest and abdomen to see if any fluid surrounding lungs and heart but trying the meds is a good way to try. Thanks to the meds we got an extra 8 months with Joy, she was 6 and a bit when she started on the meds and lived to 7 and 2 weeks. Good luck to you and Bailey.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:40 am

Brist1cm

Post   » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:48 pm

Thanks everyone, to give you some background why I think heart issues are likely... besides her now pea eye. For the past year for sure (can't recall her younger age if she did) she bobs her head when she breathes (not all the time but often enough for me to notice). Her breathing is never slow and calm like other piggies, but fluttered, not like uri where chest expands, bust just her regular belly area. She also occasionally "hoots" when she goes to bend down and eat a the healthy green poops from her bum. Based on the bpatters link and all the other pigs and their symptoms, I think this is likely the case. She has been slightly more lethargic than Bella (when she wasn't sick at the end) where even during floor time and activities she doesn't seem to like to do much, which I know she's older (3) than younger rambunctious pigs. But I think all of these tie in together.

I would love to try her on meds, but my only concern is with stupid COVID-19 not being able to directly communicate these concerns (since only able to talk over phone during appointment) with the vet makes me think they'll brush it under the rug or waste time with tests, which seeing as many (even my exotic cavy savy vet) don't know/have enough research with piggies. Do you guys have any tips for this?? Sometimes I feel like I know my pig than the vet better despite the lack of medical training. I sometimes get frustrated because I think they don't listen, if that makes sense. I still take them to the vet, but I hope my frustrations make sense??

Brist1cm

Post   » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:58 pm

Now she has a hobble in her step and isn't walking correctly. My poor babies.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:56 pm

:-( I hope your vet will consider heart issues. See if you can video clear examples of the behavior you are describing to show him/her.

Brist1cm

Post   » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:09 pm

I will, she must have injured her leg and I have no idea how. I gave her the last dose of Bellas remaining metacam. I hope she can find some comfort. She squeals when it's touched. But she is still able to use it.