Unsure of what happened to my pig

Lisa12

Post   » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:02 pm

Sorry, this will be a long post. I ll try keep it clear and not too long.I tough I ll never bother you with my problems, again..hope you can help us out.

Ringo broke on through to the other side in June.. He lived such a long-happy-go-lucky as was his pedigree name, cool life, with so many dog friends, walking in the woods, playing football, doing agility having fun..he was soo remarkable. Such a legend..they all called him legend.. even at vets. He was so inteligent and such a strong character-much stronger than me. No didnt exist for him even till his last day. that was so amazing.
And he went naturally.. he didnt show signs of ilness or infection, but he was getting older and older.. it caught me by suprise that he went, but he didnt suffer-he always got proper medication.. he ate by injection on lastday..he loves food..even before he went he went with food in his mouth..like pigs who just go away quickly..and i was with him as i was all the time.. more than half of my life. He got the most out of his life..and he walked on his own till his last day. I am so grateful that things worked out for him as they did, but it broke..me..i just couldnt. I still cant.

I got job at the store after that-before i only worked at home all thoose years to take care for Ringo..and he needed asistence as he was older..but he was still so happy with will power that was bigger than is life itself. We all knew that.

With Irie.. I couldnt do nothing-i just needed a break..he s happy and here..

And than this formation kept on growing and growing..it was quite large.
We found good surgeon 2h away. She removed it..we didnt put it on any analysis. But she did good job, she removed it completely..we are greateful.
I got Irie back on the same day.. HE was happy and runing around at noon already.

However.. thats main reason we are writing this. We checked urine before operation..i had this urine test for Ringo who has problems also with
urine infections..so we checked it at home and called vet if results werent right.
Irie s urine was alright except leucocytes were high.. before operation..he got marbofloxacin after skin formation operation,..but now he has even
more leucocytes in urine..he s very lively..i couldnt get a hold of this vet who operated him..and she was sort of like its not that much of a problem if he is lively.
But for me its wierd and this scene with exotic animals here is wierd..or i cant handle it, but its wierd as people dont give that much for pigs anyway..its sad. For me it is. So much I ll get out of it. 100%. I would just like take care for Irie properly.

And as Ringo was and will always be my best friend i dont plan on having animals at all anymore.

I am planing on going to Ringo s vet and Ziggys current and ask her if she can check urine.. and do urine analysis as is for dogs so you have actually
written on paper.

Maybe i can ask her for TMS (Bactrim)as is the same as for people and dogs, right?
Even tough she doesnt know for Ringo and its so hard for me that i ll have to tell all that, but I dont have much choice.

What would you do? My sister said I wouldnt do anything on my own, but we cant just left it.. We ll do test on Moneday again than if results will be off, i ll go to our forever brilliant dog/cats vets..

Any advice on urine situation greatly appriciated.
Irie handles very poorely any AB except MArbocyl..but it didnt seem to help with urine situation, sadly

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:31 pm

Is there an odor to the urine? Was bacteria found in the urine?

Lisa12

Post   » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:57 pm

We only test this at it home. There isnt any special odor to the urine or blood or whatever.

Bacteria found? Like culture? No. we havent tested that. Only leucocytes are high. We can send you urine stick photo on moneday, when we will repeat the test.

We ll figure something out till next week. We have, too. Thank you for reply.

Lisa12

Post   » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:14 am

Eh, I tried to remember dossages you know..
I think vet said(but it seems i cant remember correctly).
If you disolve tablet that contains

Lisa12

Post   » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:27 am

If you disolve tablet that contain sulfamethoxazole trimethoprim(we have white tablets) 400 mg 80mg(480) in water. 8ml
You have 480g of whole thing in 8ml liquid right?

Irie has 800g, bit more, now..
The dossage was 0,2 ml on 12h
So with that formula that is not correct cause it would contain 12mg of sulfamethoxazole trimethoprim on 12h which is not correct?
If anybody is good with this..
I tought i remember correctly but i seems i dont.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:10 am

Sorry for your lost of Ringo! Sounds like you went through the wars and made it through. So glad you were with Ringo at the end. RIP little man forever young and popcorn in paradise. You have earned it! Sending hugs to you and Irie.

Jessie had Bactrim tablets and she would get quarter of tablet twice a day. Not sure on strength of medication. Now current vet has Bactrim in pink liquid full of sugar and smells like strawberry. Pigs would get 0.1ml twice a day. Hoping Irie gets better soon!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:17 am

https://www.guinealynx.info/antibiotics.html#bactrim
Oral Dosage: 30 mg/kg q12h (i.e. 30mg/kg is given every 12 hours, for a total of 60 mg/kg in 24 hours)

Bactrim is a commonly used human and veterinary antibiotic and generally comes in a standard suspension. Each 5.0 ml of this pediatric oral suspension (one of the drugs sometimes referred to as "the pink stuff") contains 200mg sulfamethoxazole and 40mg trimethoprim/5ml for a total of 240mg active ingredients/5ml or 48mg/cc. A dose of 0.625 cc would provide 30mg bactrim for a pig of one kilo (2.2 pounds).
https://www.guinealynx.info/calculate_dose.html

You wrote "400 mg 80mg(480) in water. 8ml" This is a suspension of 480mg/8ml or 60mg/ml (a higher concentration than the standard pediatric solution). At a weight of 0.8kg and dosage of 30mg/kg every 12 hours, this would mean each dose would be:
0.4 cc

Since this is a crushed pill, make sure it is crush really finely and shaken thoroughly so it is evenly distributed. A suspension in water should be refrigerated and I don't think stays good a really long time. Personally, I would make up a smaller amount and mix it fresh every day. If you can quarter the pills, you would mix each finely crushed quarter with 2cc of water, using the guidelines you were given.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:36 am

That is correct. Thanks, Lynx---I had just pulled out my calculator to try to figure it out for her. Agree on shaking it very aggressively each time to make sure the bits of crushed pill are thoroughly mixed and dissolved.

I'm so sorry about Ringo.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:41 am

I find that "calculate dose" page very handy! I also explain how to do it manually.

Lisa12

Post   » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:19 am

Thank you so much for your kind words Daisymay(i really like reading about your pigs and wish them too well and i read you struggled with vets and i can relate, for sure)..Ringo was our dog(border collie) he was with us for almost sixteen years and in our hearts forever -he was fighter, yes..unlimited one..and thank you Sef, too!!

And thanks, Lynx, for this calculation!! I am so bad at it..too bad.. with this calculations..I did check the page but i was still little lost now i know.
So we can get this one human pill.. if not else..and disolve it. If we cant get else. Iread its the same for animals for this antibiotic.

We ll try to sort it out and we will let you know..out of all things we ve done.. i think we should manage this.. I am little (a lot, actually)shaken with whole situation so..its difficult..but you helped me, greatly again..we ll repeat test first..than try to get a hold of vet next week..

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:05 pm

I'm so sorry for your loss of Ringo. I'm glad he felt good right up until the end.

Lisa12

Post   » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:31 pm

Thank you so much..i ve been having hard time today missing him, so it means even more..wish you and your piggies well!