Tips for preventing cage chewing?

guineafam49

Post   » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:21 am

We have a female guinea pig (about 4 years old) who has become quite the cage chewer. About a month ago, she broke a tooth off at the gum line exposing nerves and pulp. Thankfully it was discovered very quickly. After antibiotics and pain meds (and all the gut issues that go with that), her tooth is fine but she has not learned her lesson :)

She has plenty of chew toys available to her. She is spoiled with attention (she is in our living room where where homeschool) and she gets her food at predictable times each day.

The cage chewing seems to be prompted by excitement/impatience over food and begging for food (particularly if you sit in one chair near their cage). She also will chews at the divider between her and her cage mate (we have been unsuccessful in introducing the two since adopting in March).

My husband suggested using a spritz of water (like you do when cats jump on counters) but I am not sure if that is the way to go with guinea pigs. Any successful training tips? Or do we need to invest in some plexiglass panels?

Thank you!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:24 am

Line the inside of the cage with plexiglass so she can't get to the bars. You don't have to line it all, just where she chews. It's by far the easiest solution.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:16 pm

Cage chewing is Scruffy's legacy among my herd. He got Mr Bubbles and Sammy doing it. They in turn got the rest of them, including BJ doing it. It's my reminder to never forget him even though he's passed. 7 of them going at it when I walk up to them. My solution is to make sure I have a treat for them and stoke up their hay pile. Even a small handful helps. Doesn't stop it completely, but it's greatly reduces it.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:59 pm

Chuckle.