Ignorant People...

Sumerlei

Post   » Wed Jan 23, 2002 9:42 pm

I just have to vent!

I made a simple comment/suggestion to this person and she just about flipped out on me! I just don´t get it! I never pointed a finger or anything and she jumps down my throat!

Ugh! I know that most people are not this way and are able to accept constructive criticism (although it wasn´t even close to criticism) very well in the hopes that they are providing well for their cavies, but this person just did not care! And her reason was "I´ve been doing this for years and nothing bad has happened..."

I just don´t get it.

(Excuse me if this doesn´t make a whole lot of sense, nothing rarely does when I´m this angry.)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jan 23, 2002 10:43 pm

It is easy to read criticism in advice. And some people seem to take offence where none was intended. Sometimes if you pick through what you said, you can see how it was misinterpreted -- other times it just seems the person has gone off on some tangent that has nothing to do with it. Sorry you´re upset. One of the benefits of old age (I feel increasingly old) is forgetfulness. And in the end, very little really matters.

I take it this was a message board exchange -- at least it wasn´t a misunderstanding with one of your friends or neighbors.

Sumerlei

Post   » Wed Jan 23, 2002 11:27 pm

I just reread my post. I can see how she would have gotten a little irritated, but in no way did I point the finger at her, it´s nothing that I would have gotten angry at if the roles were reversed. I even sent her an email after to explain myself further.

Oh well, you´re right, of course. And I can relate to forgetfulness, I am young and have a terrible memory. I suppose that is one of the perks!

I will be watching what I reply to from now on, especially where that site is concerned.

Evangeline

Post   » Thu Jan 24, 2002 8:57 pm

What the hell are you two yapping about?

Evangeline

Post   » Thu Jan 24, 2002 11:27 pm

Hello? Is someone going to explain to me what this thread is about?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jan 24, 2002 11:40 pm

I don´t know. I thought I was just giving some general advice -- you know, in a grandmotherly fashion. Sumerlei will have to be more specific if you must have details.

This is one of those live and learn things. You know, what you write can be misinterpreted or -- the person responding can be deranged.

lisam

Post   » Thu Jan 24, 2002 11:49 pm

Are you saying that Evangeline is deranged?

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Jan 25, 2002 1:28 am

Oh terrific. A deranged eastern trollop. Those are just the WORST!

Sumerlei

Post   » Fri Jan 25, 2002 2:58 am

Heehee. Well, I suppose I should explain myself.

I belong to a cavy list serv. If anyone belongs to the rice.edu one, then they probably know what I am talking about.

Anyway, there was a discussion going on about different ideas for cages. This one woman posted a description of her cage. I had replied and asked her if she gave her cavies enough floor time to compensate for the small dimensions. This woman replied back and could not understand why I would ask about floor time when she was talking about her cage! In a later email she had said that 2 square feet per cavy was enough space for a cage. I then quoted from Teresa´s site (and posted a link) for the suggested 7.5 sq.ft. and she had said that those dimensions were "optimal, but not required" and questioned the quality of the source. She also made a comment that her cavies have been living like this for years and are healthy and have all lived long lives.

She ended up sending me a very insulting (and immature) email to my personal account and even commented that she knew that she was going to get kicked off the list serv for her comments. Apparently not, because today she replied to someone else´s post (which I had not been involved in) and added more insulting comments specifically directed at me.

I ended up emailing the moderator and making a complaint about her comments.

I just don´t understand how people can post on forums and not expect certain comments or suggestions. Apparently she is extremely hostile and I really don´t think that she belongs to the list serv at all.

It doesn´t matter now, I am no longer angry. She has managed to make herself look like the immature idiot. I have said my peace in regards to that woman, so I am finished with the situation.

Summer
Last edited by Sumerlei on Fri Jan 25, 2002 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

pigpal

Post   » Fri Jan 25, 2002 12:25 pm

It often seems such people do a far better job of discrediting themselves than anyone else could.

Giving them enough rope to hang themselves is often the best approach.

Sumerlei

Post   » Fri Jan 25, 2002 10:12 pm

Yes. Although it is tempting to match her in some sort of reply, it´s not the purpose of the list serv, so I won´t bother. I´m there to help the people that I can when no one else replies. I´ve also come to the understanding that if she continues to make insulting comments on the list serv, she´ll get kicked off. She´s already got at least one warning from yesterday´s comment (two more to go...), so she´s doing herself in!

Thanks,
Summer

Evangeline

Post   » Sat Jan 26, 2002 6:06 pm

I go away for ONE day and get called "deranged" behind my back. Some friends!

Summer-
Oh, I understand what you mean. It pisses me off to no end when people ask for advice and then get mad when they get it. It is immature and stupid. If you know better, then don´t ask!