Jill, Jaffa and Jupiter

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:51 am

I do not think vitamin C would affect appetite. I think it was incidental, not causative, so long as you were not giving extremely high amounts. I think you are making a mistake to not consider supplementing with vitamin C.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:49 am

If she likes the Oxbow vitamin C wafers, maybe that would be a good substitute treat for the carrot and spinach she’s missing.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:38 pm

Okay Jill is still on grass and hay nothing had changed when poof her poops returned to normal and have stayed that way for 3 days now, this is day 4.When should I start introducing other foods? Which I will do extra slow!

The Bio-Sponge came Friday, we took her off the Metomide and put her on 0.1ml of Bio-Sponge once a day. Jolly hard but just manage to get some in a 1ml syringe. Hoping this will prevent her from squeaking when she pees and poops and may help with her straining to get them out. And no she doesn't have stones. Will keep you posted.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:55 pm

That is good news, Daisymay. If it were me, I’d give it some time and see if she continues to do well on just the grass and hay. Then if you decide to add something, I would only do a small amount of one food at a time and see how she does. But really, if she’s doing well, I don’t know that I’d add too many other foods.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:27 am

Ditto ItsaZoo. Nothing extra for now. Perhaps later small amounts of a single new food for a few days, only testing an additional new food after that one is cleared to not cause a problem.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:32 am

Thank-you for your replies Lynx and Itsazoo! Sadly Jill's poops are heading back to mushy but this time it is my fault! I added 0.1mls of Bio-Sponge and removed the Metomide. I can re-add Metomide if need be.

And as Jill was squeaking all the time hungry I added more grass to her diet. I will instantly remove the Bio-Sponge and lessen the amount of grass she gets.

It has only just started to go mushy-poops still have shape just well mushy. If she continues to eat the grass(she is starting to hate it now, won't eat cat grass just couch but is losing interest in it), I will wait 3-4 weeks before I add to her diet and believe you me it will be very small. Like maybe a carrot size of 5 cents once a day.

Will keep you posted and thank-you both replying to post threads and your helpful tips! Much appreciated!

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:28 am

Sounds like the fresh food is a trigger right now. But you’re on top of things so I’m sure you’ll get it straightened out.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:59 am

Thanks for the reply ItsaZoo. Now I need advice from all you guinea pig people out there. For 2 weeks Jill's poops had shape, they were mushy but shape. BUT every time she did one or a pee she would be straining and squealing.

Then bang Saturday afternoon out of the blue she goes off her food, mushy poops return, hard to syringe feed etc. Monday being a holiday took her to vet today(Tuesday) and vet was clueless as have tried antibiotics, X-rays, tried to get bloods but Jill has fat neck so very hard.

Tried Pron8ture(Protexin), poop soup, Bactrim, a form of Baytril(which started it all), Bio-Sponge. She has been sedated and had teeth looked at. X-rays showed wind in tummy and small intestine.

Now with mushy poops so much there is blood on tissues. NOT blood in poop or urine BUT on tissue, like irritated bowel/bladder.

Vet is going to put Jill's details on website for vets VIN, someone mentioned Irritable bowel syndrome, when the vet put that on VIN 3 vets answered asking what was that?

Jill is a 6 year old entire female, please if you have any ideas, suggestions my vet and I are open to them. Jill is maintaining weight low to mid 800grams. Thanks in advance.

Forgot to mention in desperation she is on a tenth of Metomide once a day and Pron8ature once a day. Other than that poop soup from Jay.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:35 am

You are being so thorough! I wish I had advice for you but from what you describe, you have everything covered (even having your vet get feedback on VIN).

I hope she turns around. The blood is worrying. I was going to suggest pyometra (an infection of the uterus) but it is much more likely to be in the digestive tract, as you guess, IMO. That you have ruled out stones with a new xray also makes it hard.

If only a small amount of blood is needed for a specific test, overclipping a toenail might be a way to get enough of it.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:08 am

My vet says they need 1ml of blood to be tested. Jill had X-rays in January all they saw was wind. If she had a stone the wind hid it. Thanks Lynx for your wise quick reply. Will keep you posted.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:39 pm

I don't think it would be irritable bowel. In humans that's a functional problem - how the colon moves, no blood. Inflammatory bowel syndrome has inflamed lining of the bowel and can produce blood. In humans it causes bloody diarrhea, but I don't know how it would manifest in pigs. Or if they even get it. Could it be from the reproductive tract? But I don't think that would cause pain when pooping/peeing.

We've had so many pigs that squeaked when peeing/pooping. As you already know, it's usually because of irritated/infected bladder or stones. And of course, there are two other possible sources - from the bowel & the uterus.

I just asked daughter about all our experiences. Two current pigs sometimes have orange urine but no pain. Carly & Grace (sisters) had blood but no pain. They were both spayed & had something wrong with their uteruses and blood stopped (for the time being - one or both eventually had ongoing stone, inflammation problems).

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:24 am

Got back from vet 90 minutes ago, seems Jill has IBD. So for 7 days she is on Bactrim 0.35mls twice a day. Prednisone 0.1ml once a day for 3 days then once every 2nd day, Metomide once a day and Pron8ture once a day.

Jill did a lot of farts, some mushy poops which he looked under microscope and saw a bacteria that was wiggling like a snake in it. Her urine was clear.

So am hoping this helps her otherwise I will be bald as I pull my hair out! Will keep you posted. He mentioned a gland that makes cortisone isn't doing it and hence the bowel problem. Hopefully this will help.