Separate? Already?!

chyna_mn

Post   » Wed Feb 06, 2002 1:20 pm

Hi everyone. Well I didn´t want to believe it but I heard some definate rumblestrutting coming from the cage this morning. Low and behold Oscar was attempting to mount everyone in sight. I promptly removed him and he is now screaming his head off at me in a makeshift holding tub. Is it too early to remove him? Everywhere I´ve read says 3 weeks, he´ll be 3 weeks next monday. Either way I´m not putting him back until I hear from you guys. We do have a new grid cage almost ready for him. Let me know thanks!

imanut4u

Post   » Wed Feb 06, 2002 3:01 pm

Go ahead and put him back. He´s just practicing. Be sure to remove him permanently at 3 weeks to be on the safe side.

Some boars just start the motor earlier than others. He´ll be fine for a few more days.
Last edited by imanut4u on Wed Feb 06, 2002 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peter

Post   » Wed Feb 06, 2002 3:52 pm

With Noelle´s litter, I took the boars out the Friday before the Monday that they were going to be 3 weeks. They are fine, healthy, and fat pigs now.

Just to let you know, the boars WILL scream their heads off for a little while when they are first taken out, and the sows and mother might even call back for them. It´s perfectly normal, they´ll stop within a few hours.

I like to take boars out right before I go to sleep, that way if he´s a screamer you don´t have to listen to that incessant wheeking for their mother. Sometimes it helps if there is a littermate for him to stay with. As long as he´s eating and drinking, don´t worry about him.

Cara

Post   » Wed Feb 06, 2002 4:08 pm

I have a screamer named Oscar that humped everyone in sight too!!! I took him out at two weeks. I was afraid he´d be a child prodigy and impregnante his mom and sister. He was fine, he was very vocal and I put his cage right next to his mom´s so he could see and hear her but not touch her. He calmed down and was fine.

chyna_mn

Post   » Wed Feb 06, 2002 4:30 pm

Ok thanks guys... I´m not putting him back in. It´s just too risky. He wasn´t just after the mom he was after all 3 girls and one of my sows is almost 2 so it wouldn´t be good for her to get pregnant, let alone the mother and sister. I´m getting him a cagemate also. Have the quarentine cage all set up. and the new cage is finished too! Thanks again!

Sumerlei

Post   » Thu Feb 07, 2002 9:21 pm

I´m sure that you´ve heard of this happening, but just thought I´d warn you to be aware that he could get his head stuck in the grids! They say that the risk is greater at around 2 weeks old or so, but Alfie was about 2-3 months old when it happened to him.

This happened to Alfie the first week or so that I put him in and it just about freaked me out! Thank goodness that I was there to hold his body while someone popped his head back out.

I know how you feel about the rumblestrutting, Rum Tum started doing that at about the same time. I took him out but was told the same thing, that he was "just practicing" and I put him back in. I waited 3 weeks before taking him out and no one got pregnant, but it´s probably best to stand on the safe side!

And expect some noise making for a little bit, it probably would help to put their cages close together.

Summer

chyna_mn

Post   » Thu Feb 07, 2002 9:59 pm

Thanks for the warning about the grids. He hasn´t done anything like that yet, I´m here all the time so I check on him constantly.

LOL noise making? More like SCREAMING BLOODY MURDER. I thought it was going to last a few hours or until we went to bed at the most... He squeaked from 1:20 yesterday to about the same time today... all through the night! With very few breaks in between. I was worried he was going to lose his voice but he´s fine. The times he did stop was to eat and drink and nibble on veggies...

It reminded me of a story my husband told me about his sister. She´d have a tantrum and be sent to her room. She´d cry and scream and bawl, all the while coloring in a book... so yeah. I felt really bad for taking him away from mom but his cage is on top of hers so he can hear her and smell her and such. That may have actually made it worse.

I did get him a cagemate but of course can´t put him in with him for a few weeks. I´d say he´s the same age as our babies. I´ll be taking pictures soon for everyone to see. We´re naming him Felix... anyone familiar with the odd couple? They were named Oscar and Felix =) I thought that was an appropriate name for the new guy =) Thanks again for all the advice!