These 4 pigs have 2 days left

critterluv02

Post   » Fri May 21, 2004 6:08 pm

The pigs are doing great and looking well. Penelopig and the little red/white teddy boar are the most shy, but good eaters nonetheless.

Wheeky - I will be giving the 3 older pigs their 2nd dose of Ivermectin and Advantage on Tuesday. It is my understanding that the others have not had any treatments yet. Would you like me to just give everyone a dose of at least Ivermectin on Tuesday so they get their first round or do you only treat the ones that look like they need it? I treat everyone here with Ivermectin before they move into my shelter.

Let me know if you would like me to get them started.

Chary did a great job getting the 3 older ones cleaned up. The sow with the most hairloss has very clean and healthy looking skin she just needs to regrow her hair. Barney has some dandruff. The DEW is the the main concern. His bald spot is a significant size and it looks irritated. I think it looks better though. He has real greasy hair on his back, is there anything I should do about that? Chary gave them a Nizoral bath on Tuesday before she brought them.

Thanks for any input.

wheeky8

Post   » Fri May 21, 2004 6:49 pm

Thanks for the update.
If your up to it, go ahead and treat them all on Tuesday. That's up to you, if you think they need it right away.
I usually treat all incoming pigs with three doses also, bathe, watch for a few days and then re-evaluate who may need extra doses.
If you want to get them started that's fine, if not, that's fine. Just send a list of who got treated and how many times with RB when she comes up.

The DEW, if his bald spot looks irritated, let's wait and see if the ivermec gives him some relief. Let's finish his run of ivermec before bathing again.
I don't know about the greasy spot. It may just be dietary. It may resolve itself now that he's receiving appropriate food. I'll be sure to check it out when he arrives.

Again, thanks for taking them in temporarily.

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Fri May 21, 2004 7:41 pm

Anyone know how my Penelopig is doing? She's a real sweetie.

critterluv02

Post   » Fri May 21, 2004 7:52 pm

Thanks Wheeky. I will probably just treat them all on Tuesday and I will certainly compile a list for you of any treatment I provide so you will have a record. I have a feeling the greasiness will subside with time, but I haven't seen such thick grease before, so wasn't sure. Chary said that the one little open spot appeared after his bath with Nizoral, so I don't think bathing him again is a good idea. He is in tough shape right now, but is going to be one Handsome pig when he is healed up and well again. He has striking features and is quite the character.

Pigglies - Penelopig is doing fine. She is one of the most shy that doesn't want to come out of her hidey hole until I leave the room. Just today she came out when I gave her fresh food and then turned my back. She sure is a cutie.

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Fri May 21, 2004 8:21 pm

Pigglies? Me no pigglies.

She's a bit shy but if you get your hands on her, she seems to like head scratches. She needs a friend to teach her how to eat hay.

critterluv02

Post   » Fri May 21, 2004 9:43 pm

Sorry Chunky Piggies - I just looked at the Avatar and assumed it was Pigglies. I didn't know you took Rocky off.

I haven't had much time to hold Penelopig. Since she hasn't received any Ivermectin yet, I have to be careful as I don't have enough T-shirts to keep changing between the quarantine room and my shelter pigs. I do agree that she needs a friend because she is just sleeping on that lovely bluegrass hay. I will see what I can work out. I also haven't done much in the ways of intros yet.

I'll keep you posted if I work something out.

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Fri May 21, 2004 11:09 pm

Thanks! Its actually Penelopig on my avatar now. She was pretty patiently posting for me (think was just toscare to move much).
She has much to learn about hay and certain veggies. I dont think she can recognize too much. If I had the room, I would have kept her.

Oh and keep an eye out on that bald patch on her back. The fur got ripped off by an AC officer when she was trying to "hold it to see if its friendly and its NOT cuz it ran away!" Effing moron.

critterluv02

Post   » Sat May 22, 2004 12:58 am

Thanks for the heads up on her bald spot. I wondered if that was her in your avatar. She sure is a cutie. She is currently living with "Carlene" who is the tortie ridgeback from Carson. They seem nervous but are settling down.

I have "Ted" (red/white teddy) in the running pen with "Gordon" (spectacular agouti ridgeback) and am hoping they can become friends. So far it can go either way.

I have named the pigs and will not be offended if they are renamed once they move to Denver. I just cannot stand to have an animal around without its own name.

I have been holding Hanky this evening for some cuddles. He is such a sweet guy. His tummy is round and full so I think he is doing well eating. He sure dives into the fresh food when it is passed out.

Robyn3939
Lethal Lover

Post   » Sat May 22, 2004 1:00 am

Is Gordon a golden Agouti? What's a ridgeback?

Charybdis

Post   » Sat May 22, 2004 1:16 am

If he's the agouti I brought, then no. A very dark silver, looks black from a distance.

Critterluv, I'm thinking that the bath irritated the DEW's mites too. The Nizoral was for the greasy hair and since it didn't do the trick and the others aren't greasy, it could be a skin problem with just this guy.

critterluv02

Post   » Sat May 22, 2004 2:12 am

Hmmm...Gordon is one that Chary brought, but I wouldn't call him silver. He looks like black with pepper sprinkled on him. Not a typical agouti looking pig. I will have to post a photo to gather some input. He is by far the most striking agouti pig I have ever seen.

Erin8607
Knee Deep

Post   » Sat May 22, 2004 2:16 am

Robyn just mentioned the other night that she hoped you'd get an agouti in rescue, lol.