These 4 pigs have 2 days left

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue May 25, 2004 4:34 pm

I'd use the ivermectin topically and use the injectable type and don't dilute. www.guinealynx.info/topical_ivermectin.html

Advantage treats lice but so will topical ivermectin (and mites too).

A pregnant sow can be treated with Advantage or ivermectin with no problems.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Tue May 25, 2004 5:44 pm

The Advantage is pretty safe. For most adult pigs over 500 grams, it is safe to do up to 0.2 ml easy. I don't dose my pigs individually according to weight. We just don't want a 100 gram pig to be getting the same dosage (although it DOES take many times the intended dose to cause problems).

Advantage is perfectly safe for pregnant animals. Ivermectin is, too.

critterluv02

Post   » Tue May 25, 2004 7:11 pm

Thanks for your response. Chary had mentioned that if I used the Advantage, that I could not use Ivermectin topically. That is what lead to my questions. I always use the injectible type and dose it topically so I haven't forced myself to learn alternative methods.

So I am gathering by these responses that it is ok to use the Ivermectin topically AND use the Advantage.

Thanks for giving me a simple dose Josephine. All three of the pigs on this treatment are very large adults.

Now can anyone tell me if I need to give the second dose of Advantage one week after the first dose, or is it supposed to only be given once a month according the directions in the parasite chapter of this site?

Thanks much!

Red Blur
Chocolate Giver

Post   » Tue May 25, 2004 7:51 pm

CL02 -

I'll be leaving work shortly. Do you need me to bring you anything? I'm debating whether or not to stop at home before I head your way. I probably should so I can change into grubby clothes.

Leave me a voicemail at home if you need anything.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue May 25, 2004 8:05 pm

I would skip the Advantage and only use ivermectin topically. Use the Advantage in a couple weeks if you feel there are any lice still there. As I posted, the ivermectin should also treat lice if there are any present when used topically.

critterluv02

Post   » Tue May 25, 2004 9:34 pm

Thanks Lynx. Red Blur is here and we are getting started. We will take your advice and just use the Ivermectin. I will send the Advantage along so they can follow up in Denver.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Tue May 25, 2004 10:04 pm

I personally wouldn't use the Advantage if you are doing the ivermectin topically. It's safe to use the ivermectin orally and the Advantage topically, but generally not necessary if you use the ivermectin topically. Ivermectin just isn't as effective on lice as the Advantage. I usually use Advantage if lice are known and the pig has been cleared of possible mite infestation.

critterluv02

Post   » Tue May 25, 2004 11:12 pm

Thanks Josephine, I personally have only ever used Ivermectin here and never needed Advantage (yet). I will knock on wood that I don't end up with a bunch of lice infested piggies now.

On an upnote, the three older piggies are looking so good. Steiner (DEW) is regrowing hair and his big scab has fallen off. Betty (Black abby) had a large bald spot which now has a nice layer of new fuzz.

All the piggies (excluding Hanky) got their first dose of Ivermectin and they actually look very good, so I don't think the final rescuers are going to have too much rehab on their hands.

They are all enjoying their new hay from KMs Hayloft. Thanks again for the generosity!

Charybdis

Post   » Tue May 25, 2004 11:33 pm

Ick. Definitely lines of communication have definitely been crossed.

I never said that the Advantage should be repeated in a week. It was only used in the case of the Long Beach pigs because they were literally crawling with lice. Ivermectin does work topically on lice but, as Josephine mentioned, it is not as effective as Advantage. I usually use only topical Ivermectin, but not when I'm about to transport 3 lice-infested pigs with a bunch of non-lice-infested pigs.

If you use Advantage topically, it would be kind of chemical overload to use Ivermectin topically at the same time.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I must not have been clear. Good to hear that they are all doing well.

critterluv02

Post   » Sat May 29, 2004 1:43 pm

Just wanted to let everyone know that Red Blur and her husband were just here to pick up all my little California friends. They are packed up with lots of hay, pellets and fresh veggies.

It was difficult to let them go after only having them for a week and a half. I was so tempted on several occassions to call Vikki to let her know there would only be 9 coming as I really didn't want to part with Steiner and Barney. I am a softy for the oldies and they are both the sweetest big guys. They love to squish in your arms when you hold them. I got Steiner all spiffed up before his departure this a.m. He is looking very good with a nice covering of new hair in his previously bald spot.

I checked Luella's pelvis which has not yet begun to open so unless stress does her in, I don't think Jen will have to worry about any babies coming while they are on the road. She is one huge girl though.

I have prepared name tags for each pig with their med info and dates so Vikki will have all the info once they arrive there. We had a heck of a time getting them to stick to the plastic tubs so they don't look very pretty, but they should serve their purpose.

I also sent along the meds and advantage that Chary brought with them, minus the Flagyl because it is gone. RB has Barney's Tresaderm in her cooler (along with a TON of fresh veggies to keep them hydrated). His head tilt hasn't righted yet, so his meds and ear treatments are there in case you decide to continue on with the treatments once he arrives.

Thanks again to Talishan for the generous donation of hay for this group while they were here. They enjoyed every bite and RB has taken what was left in the bag along with them.

Thanks to Chary for saving their lives and providing the necessary meds for me to continue on with their treatments.

Let's hope they all have a good trip!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat May 29, 2004 5:32 pm

And a big thanks to you for being their halfway house.

Charybdis

Post   » Sat May 29, 2004 6:01 pm

Great job, Critterluv. Barney is a sweetie, isn't he? Fairly melts in your arms. I'm glad to hear that they got safely on their way. Those are some very lucky pigs.