Is it honestly customary to take their temp with a reg sized

Kath

Post   » Sun Feb 10, 2002 5:22 pm

Just got back from the vet. She does indeed have some red blood cells in her urine. A couple of stones as well...lab tests will reveal tomorrow if they are troublesome stones or ordinary ones. Sent me home with some bactrim, and a syringe. I can say I am NOT looking forward to this. I´m going to put off giving them to her ´til tomorrow because I don´t have any yogurt in the house. Would have got some on the way home...but the vet bill tapped me out. OUCH! Such a big bill for such a little pig!

Anyway...is it honestly customary to take their temps using a regular rectal thermometer? I mean crikey...I dunno ´bout her, but my every sphincter cinched when I saw that! Oh, and she cried. I was a sweaty mess by the time it was over. My poor little baby girl.

Any tips on giving the meds would be greatly appreciated.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Feb 10, 2002 5:28 pm

Click on the Guinea Lynx button above, check the index for Medications, How to give (or tips -- something like that). Were there x-rays to determine she had stones? Were they removed?

Please do not put off giving the bactrim. I don´t have any problem with it affecting my pigs -- they really need the meds now, and on a regular basis. The bleeding should clear up in a day or two at most.

Someone more experienced with vet visits will have to answer how temperature is usually taken...

lisam

Post   » Sun Feb 10, 2002 7:12 pm

My vet uses one of those digital thermometers with the really slim points. My pigs still cry, however.

Cara

Post   » Sun Feb 10, 2002 7:48 pm

Yes, vets use regular sized themos. I think just about every pig will cry and pitch a fit about something being stuck up their rear! It´s not the most comfortable thing but it shouldn´t hurt them. I agree with Lynx and suggest you don´t hold off on giving the bactrim. It will quickly relieve any discomfort the pig is having. I have used bactrim before without yogurt. Just make sure not to feed her anything for an hour after giving the meds.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Feb 10, 2002 8:13 pm

??? Are you sure? I don´t remember anything about withholding food after giving meds. I haven´t done it. Some drugs are actually better if given with food.

This human medical site says bactrim can be taken with or without food. Taking with food may prevent stomache upset.

http://www.sti.upmc.edu/Medications/Pro ... xazole.htm
Last edited by Lynx on Sun Feb 10, 2002 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pinta

Post   » Sun Feb 10, 2002 8:35 pm

Probiotics shouldn´t be given at the same time as antibiotics since the antibiotics will only kill offf the good flora you just tried to get in the pig.

Yogurt should never be given at the same time as tetracyclines (doxycycline is in this drug family) The calcium(I think)molecules bind with the tetracycline molecules rendering the tetracycline ineffective. That´s more or less what I remember from my vet tech´s explanation. Might have screwed up some of the details but suffice it to say I just made a mental note "yogurt and tetracycline at the same time not good".

It is just as easy to get in the practise of waiting for 1 to 2 hours after giving antibiotics before giving probiotics.

The best probiotic is a poop from a healthy pig.

Evangeline

Post   » Sun Feb 10, 2002 10:38 pm

Huh? Not feed them anything for an hour? No yougourt right after the meds, that´s what I understood, but no food? Cara, is it your vet who suggested that?

Kath

Post   » Mon Feb 11, 2002 9:03 am

Thanks everso for your replies...started her on her meds last night despite not having the yogurt. I´ll admit I was rather nervous about getting them in her. Had pinta´s method up ON the computer while I was preparing to do it. Turns out she actually LIKES her meds...didn´t have to do the "vice grip". She just nibbled away til the syringe was gone. Oh and those cute little tongues! It´s in a strawberry flavored suspension...a pediatric formula, so I guess she has my sweet tooth! It was easy going...knock wood (or pressed fiber board in this case)...so whew!

Should I go ahead and give the yogurt as a precaution even though some have done so without? Obviously, I just don´t want this bladder problem to snowball into a critical situation.

Thanks again!

Kath

Cara

Post   » Mon Feb 11, 2002 9:18 am

Yes, she did. I feed my pigs about an hour before I give them meds, specifically the bactrim or cipro, and then not again for at least another hour afterwards. I was told that food can dilute the strength of the medicines and make it less effective, esp. foods high in water, (lettuces). I do give yogurt an hour after the meds as Pinta suggested to me. I had a problem a couple of years ago with Lilly and runny poos after being on Baytril and that vet never metioned a probiotic. Lilly´s gut flora was a mess for months until we gave her Bene-Bac. Anyway, my current vet is the one who suggested not feeding them for an hour after giving meds but I was dealing with bactrim and cipro so that may not be the case with other medications.

Edited for typos.
Last edited by Cara on Mon Feb 11, 2002 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kath

Post   » Mon Feb 11, 2002 4:05 pm

Where can I get Bena-Bac? I´d rather give it to her as a precaution than end up with her off her food.

Thanks!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Feb 11, 2002 4:10 pm

Another possibility is acidophilous powder from a health food store. In capsules. You shake a little bit on a damp piece of lettuce and they eat it. The Bene-bac may be available in a farm supply store. At least, I think mine has it.

pinta

Post   » Mon Feb 11, 2002 4:11 pm

Do you have another pig? I don´t use Bene-bac for our herd since I use poops from healthy pigs.