Is it honestly customary to take their temp with a reg sized

Kath

Post   » Mon Feb 11, 2002 5:26 pm

Yes, I have one other pig. Can I use just any "freshish" poop from her, or do I have to try to snag one of those "special poops"? And, how do I get her to eat it? She´s willing to take the med cuz it´s sweet and tasty. A slurry made up of poo may not be quite as appealing...or maybe to a piggy it would be?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Feb 11, 2002 5:31 pm

The special poops would be best but you are right, probably hard to snag. Instead, I would go for the freshest one you could find. If you want to minimize how much you give, you might be able to scrape the outer portion off (it is most likely to have the more active bacteria as it slips by the pouch). I think you´ll have to experiment to find a palatable combination.

pinta

Post   » Mon Feb 11, 2002 5:39 pm

Look for fresh, soft, pale coloured poops if you can find them. Smash one up in a bit of water and syringe it down. 1/2 poop will probably be okay. I syringe down a whole one in about 2ccs of water once a day. I wouldn´t worry about palatability - they eat their own poops and dandelions too. Shouldn´t be that big a deal.

** Nature has a better way! Poop from a healthy guinea pig is the best probiotic ever! I take one
"pellet" and mix it with water and feed it by syringe. It sounds nasty but it has saved more pigs
than I can count. Any time I have a pig with any sort of intestinal upset I do this. It is known as
"re-seeding the gut flora". There are other names for it too. The beauty of it is that the poop has a
special chemical in it that keeps it from being digested in the stomach so it makes it down to the
colon, where the problem occurs. - Sharlene Scheffer (sp?) RVT

Kath

Post   » Mon Feb 11, 2002 6:30 pm

I very much appreciate the heads up pinta!

Alrighty then...off a-poop-huntin´ I go! Oy...sometimes I just cannot deny that my life has gotten of on a rather funky track!